Gmail app vs Apple mail

Reaction score
I tried the Gmail app several years ago and never saw any real advantage to going there instead of sticking with Apple mail which has gotten much better in terms of integrating with gmail. One of the reasons I like Apple mail are the different flag colors (I've labeled them such as "Upcoming travel", "Upcoming shows", "Incoming shipments"...makes it easy to filter on things I track more closely)

Any thoughts? Or other apps that you use (such as outlook which I have but never tried on my iPhone)

(Does Gmail have a MacOS app?)

edit: Thinking adore about this, it's important that I have consistency from my desktop Mac and my iOS mobile devices. I like that apple has finally carried the flag colors across to iOS Mail but you can't filter on the color nor add by color...those are desktop only features. If I'm gonna switch, I'd like an app that is on both platforms, carries multiple flag colors/types, and sync them across. Otherwise Apple/iOS mail do what I need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(Does Gmail have a MacOS app?)

There is a very comprehensive list of e-mail programs for the Macintosh here:

Macintosh E-Mail Software
http://www.macattorney.com/mail.html

The applications with a blue star next to them are basically Macintosh apps that serve as a front end for Gmail. Some of these are even free.

Just about every e-mail program for the Macintosh has a free downloadable demo available. So you can decide which e-mail program that you like best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have to admit I like Apple Mail due to the integration of both contact and calendar, which are then picked up on the iPhone and iPad, so action in one place and seen on all devices :)

OP
M
Reaction score
There is a very comprehensive list of e-mail programs for the Macintosh here:

Macintosh E-Mail Software
Macintosh Email Software

The applications with a blue star next to them are basically Macintosh apps that serve as a front end for Gmail. Some of these are even free.

Just about every e-mail program for the Macintosh has a free downloadable demo available. So you can decide which e-mail program that you like best.
Thanks...would be helpful however if they would identify those that have a matching iOS app.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Most, of the desktop apps have iOS equivalents whereas the iOS apps do not necessarily have desktop counterparts.
For me the desktop app is the most important and needs to have the functions I want. I use Spark, it suits my needs. It is a paid for desktop app and like similar others the iOS version is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.