gmail app on iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 12 Pro Max, MacBook Pro mid-2010 17" High Sierra.
Can't get email on the gmail app until i tap the gmail icon. I've turned off the default mail settings, but it's still happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't understand your question. No email is received on your iPhone until you open the GMail app? What does "turned off default mail settings" mean?

OP
danny1159
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand your question. No email is received on your iPhone until you open the GMail app? What does "turned off default mail settings" mean?
It means that I’ve turned off my iCloud account for the default mail app. I only want to get iCloud emails sent to my gmail app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Still not following you. If you can tap the Gmail app and your mail shows in the app what are you looking for?

I use the default mail app on my iPhone. I do have iCloud mail on but don't use the email address they provided. When I open the mail app I can see mail from 6 accounts - iCloud (which is always empty), Gmail - my account and my husbands (he never checks), Work email address through MS Exchange, Live email - mine and my husband's account. I have set up a VIP for certain senders so I am notified on all my devices.

So what is not working and what do you want to happen?

Lisa

OP
danny1159
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, what I want to happen is for the gmail app to let me know that I just received an email. How about a number on the app? If I don’t hear the email sound, and I don’t see an email number, how do I know, without tapping the gmail app, that I even have an email that’s waiting to be opened???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm still confused as well. You have a gmail account and that means you have an address at gmail that ends in gmail.com, or whatever they use. You have an app called gmail that retrieves the messages sent to that gmail address. From what you say, it doesn't show that you have pending mail until you actually open the app. That would be a discussion for you with the provider of gmail and the gmail app, namely, Google, not Apple.

You also have an iCloud account and there is an email address there that ends in iCloud.com, or me.com, depending on when you first created it. Both work to come to whatever mail server you set up. You give the email application the various server information and logins to your email at Apple and get the messages on that app. Most of us use the Apple app called Mail, but there are third party options. I don't know if the gmail app can get non-gmail messages, but if it can, you just provide the server settings as you would to Mail and the app will retrieve the messages for you. Again, if the ONLY time that happens is when the app is open, that is a problem for the developer, Google, not Apple.

So, if you go to Settings on your iDevice (iPhone or iPad) and then scroll down to the Gmail app, are there settings there? If so, what do you have set? Some mail apps will work in the background to get notifications to you about pending messages, maybe the gmail app doesn't do that for non-gmail addresses?

OP
danny1159
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have an iPhone, don’t you get some kind of notification that an email came in? A number on your mail app, or a sound that you have an email? I don’t get any of those, because I’m using the gmail app on my iPhone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you use the GMail app to access mail on GMail, then yes it will download it automatically and depending on your notification settings will notify you with sound/banner. But minimally you'll get a number on the icon.

I don't (and can't) use iCloud mail on my GMail app since they are the same email address and I don't use my iCloud mail anyway, so I can't try this out myself.

When you setup iCloud in GMail, were there any options about how you would access the email? You might also want to check to see if there any sync settings for your iCloud setup.

Do you get the notifications/sound/number for emails sent to your GMail address? If not, you should get that working first by removing the account and re-adding it back in.

OP
danny1159
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I’ll try that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I get notifications (a number on the icon) for Mail when I get messages, but I don't use Gmail or the Gmail app. If you don't get notifications or the number on the Gmail app, it's either a problem with the app or a setting for the app. Or maybe Gmail. Hard to tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So I installed the Gmail app to try to figure out what is going on. The app works for me. I set notifications to persistent and turned on sound (I keep my iphone silenced). It all works. I got a sound and a banner that stayed on my home screen. Plus I set banners to persistent so the notification had to be swiped up to get rid of it.

I did go into the Gmail app in Settings to set up all the notifications. I will say if the sound volume is down or the phone is silenced there will be no sound notifications. I use persistent banners for text messages and the number indicator on the mail app for VIP mail that way I don't miss anything.

Try re-installing the Gmail app. That may fix it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.