Giving Rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about others, but I don't go about just willy nilly handing rep out to folks. I also don't post near as much as some and also am not that social like some. Sometimes there are posts from members that have supplied real help to people and those posts I think deserve some recognition. These are the ones I pretty much limit giving out rep to.

While I visit a couple of times pretty much every day, I'm not handing out rep without good reason. Some just deserve a congrats or a pat on the shoulder more often than others for the work they do around here. My issue is that I have seen it be a week or more since I had given someone rep and am still not able to rep them without spreading it around more. What, are we suppose to go hunting for some borderline posts to give rep to, just so we can give it to the ones that really are deserving?

I certainly understand having a system that doesn't allow for exploitation since I believe I have seen that in the short time I have been here. Haven't spent the time to figure out how many others I have to give rep to before I can give it to the same person again, primarily because I don't give rep to individuals, but to their posts. How about having not only a system of a certain # before giving to the same individual, but also a resetting of this number once a day or every other day or something?

And to the most recent ones (and there have been others) I had not been able to give rep to: MHC, Pulse8, and Kash - this is my rep to you - keep up the good work - am sure all the ones you help do appreciate it, even if they don't bother to come back and let you know.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks for the encouragement , Bob! Really cool of you. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ack!

it is very cool, but i think the management is getting tired of seeing any threads with "rep" in the title...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Thanks bob, I really appreciate the sentiment. :D

I know where you're coming from though, I wanted to rep MinaMACMan for something I found quite useful, but couldn't because I needed to spread it around more. Ah well, if Mina reads this, here's a huzzah!! to ya buddy ;P

Edit: Oh well, waddaya know, I'm at 1001 posts. Looks like I can't make my 1,000th post thread anymore... :(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
huzzah!!! argh!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ack!

it is very cool, but i think the management is getting tired of seeing any threads with "rep" in the title...

Yes, am aware, have read all the others and why I have not posted in any of them. (edit: primarily due to most were concentrated on receiving rep not on the encouragement this system provides to others) And up front, I will apologize to Schweb, DB, and the rest. It was not without some consideration and a little consternation prior to starting this thread. But I think the mod's realize that having a pat on the back system is an encouragement to all the ones who work diligently on making this a great place for all of us not so good users. Am only introducing my own suggestion and have no clue if this is something that is practical or even if it could be implemented in the software.

edit: To add Ride, although he's got enough little thingies and won't miss one more. :D

Reaction score
Hehe, yeah I've got a thread in the Macbook forum, I'm a newbie and a few users have been really awesome and helpful. I've rep'ed them all once for being made of win but sob, I can't rep them again? Or does it mean I just need to rep a few more users before I can rep them again? I can understand the system but doesn't stop me wanting to do it regardless!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you'll get that message if there isn't enough time between reps or if you haven't given some to other members. you will eventually be able to give more to those that help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
<Putting on a helmet>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Thanks bob, I really appreciate the sentiment. :D

I know where you're coming from though, I wanted to rep MinaMACMan for something I found quite useful, but couldn't because I needed to spread it around more. Ah well, if Mina reads this, here's a huzzah!! to ya buddy ;P

Edit: Oh well, waddaya know, I'm at 1001 posts. Looks like I can't make my 1,000th post thread anymore... :(

Hey Kash...

Thanks a lot for the infamous "Huzzah" :D :D

I am glade that you found some of my posts useful, and I appreciate the acknowledgment :D :D

Especially after I got a negative rep for saying my opinion about how Windows is a bad OS, can u believe that getting negative rep for not liking windows, on a forum for Macs. Interesting isn't it?!

Anyways thanks again man, and Congrats on ur 1000 post :D :D :D

Cheers,

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Without going into too much detail, essentially you will be able to give each person only one rep every 24 hours. This was necessary due to the abuse that was going on with the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i think the 24hour think is great. i love the rep system and i dont think it is abused very much. yes it is now and then but not too much.

i love it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
i think the 24hour think is great. i love the rep system and i dont think it is abused very much. yes it is now and then but not too much.

i love it. :p

I agree with you christm. I think it's a fun addition to the forum. On the other hand, I don't think it's all that important either. It just needs to be kept in perspective.

It doesn't feed anyone, keep anyone alive, or end crime! :D

I'm just being silly, cuz I'm like you, I love it! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
can we please stop with the rep and post count threads?!?!?!?!?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oohhh... that's too bad iKitten, i've been planning a 350 post extravaganza for you. i guess i'll just bring all those presents to the goodwill and the pie and cake to the old folks home. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'd be BEYOND pitiful to want a celebration for 350! I just don't get people hyping hundreds of posts. :Confused:

Anyhow, I'd forego the party in favor of the old folks' home having it any day! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can we please stop with the rep and post count threads?!?!?!?!?
-chris

I agree. To be honest, I'm always amazed at how much emphasis is placed by some people on something in the end is so meaningless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If it's meaningless why even have it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's meaningless why even have it?

Because it can be useful in some circumstances. However, the post count or rep level does not guarantee the poster is giving correct information, is knowledgeable, or is a positive part of this community. In the end, it's the quality of the post itself that needs to define those things.

My point is that people sometimes get an unhealthy obsession on something that really is not all that important. Rather than letting their ego or self-worth rise or fall on their rep points or "OMG I ROXORS LOL!L!L!L!L! I GOT 1000 POSTS", they should just concentrate on helping at that moment and being a positive influence on the community.

To be honest, I've seen people with little of either that are outstanding members, and I've seen those with alot of posts or alot of rep who are more damaging than their worth.

I can say that whenever we consider new mods, we never even discuss the candidates post count or rep points. We discuss their character and impact on the community which can happen at any rep or post level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.