• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

GI: 13 Inch Aluminum MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
Im gauging interest on what i could get for my used late 08 model 13 inch Aluminum MacBook

Specs:
13 inch screen
2GHZ Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
OSX Lion
battery is on cycle count 108

just wondering what i could get for this machine as i would like to get a macbook air so i would consider possible trades for a macbook air

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
No one can give me a idea what a good asking price would be as I'm really wanting to get a MacBook air

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No one can give me a idea what a good asking price would be as I'm really wanting to get a MacBook air

Have you heard of e-Bay or Craig's List???

I would say that your MacBook is worth about $450-$500...MAYBE $550 due to the larger HD & 4gig ram.

Now don't say..."IS THAT ALL!"...yes...that's all!;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
500 is what i was thinking and in a way hoping. ive tried looking around on CL but you can find two of the same macbooks and the price is so much different its ridiculous and everything on ebay is over priced so its hard telling with those sources.

i have looked around it seems i could get a macbook air for about 500-600 so thats really want i want to is get rid of the macbook for a air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
First gen aluminum MacBooks can easily touch $600. Used, scratched up ones can pass $500. It just depends on the condition, and the quality of pics you post for the advertisement. I could sell it for 600 easily if I knew the condition to the tee. Battery cycle count is useless without knowing the battery life percentage. Battery cycle does not equal battery life. It just depends on the effort you put into the quality of your adds.
Half, or more of the listing on CL or scams. It's useless to even use it as a gauge for market value- it doesn't tell you what they have sold for.

If you have an ebay account, you can search for your aluminum macbook. Once you found the search criteria that gives you the most hits, you can filter it to show you the listings that have already ended. Look for the listings that have sold, and you will see that they easily surpass the $500 mark on one that doesn't even have a good hdd(you would be surprised how scarred people are when it comes to the concept of having to upgrade their hdd, so their spend more to buy something that comes with a slightly larger drive).

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
^^^^
i appreciate that a lot ill try and get some pictures maybe tomorrow or something of the computer it self but im more so just trying to see what i could get for this laptop in hopes of getting a macbook air as it would be more practical for school purposes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen aluminum MacBooks can easily touch $600. Used, scratched up ones can pass $500. It just depends on the condition, and the quality of pics you post for the advertisement. I could sell it for 600 easily if I knew the condition to the tee.

Yes there are some Aluminum MacBooks (2.0ghz cpu) that may sell for more than $550...but then a lot of them are also listed at very high "Buy It Now" prices and will never sell.

Half, or more of the listing on CL or scams. It's useless to even use it as a gauge for market value- it doesn't tell you what they have sold for.

Yes...many of the CL postings are scams...but only scams to the point that they are "phishing scams"...trying to get your e-mail info. The great thing about CL is...when you do find someone who REALLY is selling a computer...you can meet with them, and see & operate the computer before buying. No scam about that!:)

If you have an ebay account, you can search for your aluminum macbook. Once you found the search criteria that gives you the most hits, you can filter it to show you the listings that have already ended. Look for the listings that have sold, and you will see that they easily surpass the $500 mark...

Again...yes you can find Aluminum MacBooks that exceed the $500-$550 estimate that I gave earlier (after all it is e-Bay...which means prices can be all over the place). Here are 6 Aluminum MacBooks that have sold recently on e-Bay for between $421-$540. They don't exactly match the OP's ram & HD...but when someone is shopping for a laptop...the most important thing is to get the laptop...the ram & HD can be upgraded later::)

MacBook 13" Aluminum Unibody | eBay
Apple MacBook 13.3" | eBay
Apple MacBook Aluminum Unibody| eBay
APPLE MACBOOK ALUMINUM UNIBODY| eBay
Apple MacBook Aluminum Unibody | eBay

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes there are some Aluminum MacBooks (2.0ghz cpu) that may sell for more than $550...but then a lot of them are also listed at very high "Buy It Now" prices and will never sell.
I was only referring to the ones that have sold. You obviously wouldn't price it the same as those that haven't sold($700+, that's a bit ridiculous).

Yes...many of the CL postings are scams...but only scams to the point that they are "phishing scams"...trying to get your e-mail info. The great thing about CL is...when you do find someone who REALLY is selling a computer...you can meet with them, and see & operate the computer before buying. No scam about that!:)
I was referring to using the ads to judge the value of them used. It's a little hard to do that when scam prices usually go cheaper and vary in the scam listing quality...if you know what I mean.

Again...yes you can find Aluminum MacBooks that exceed the $500-$550 estimate that I gave earlier (after all it is e-Bay...which means prices can be all over the place). Here are 6 Aluminum MacBooks that have sold recently on e-Bay for between $421-$540. They don't exactly match the OP's ram & HD...but when someone is shopping for a laptop...the most important thing is to get the laptop...the ram & HD can be upgraded later::)
I think you would be surprised how many people there are that aren't tech savvy, and don't want to even think about the idea of having to open their computer up. Also, from my experience, the initial upfront cost of getting the higher-specced computer version will be cheaper than buying a lower specced version and upgrading the hdd/ram. A good 500gb hdd will cost you ~$50, ram is somewhere in between $25-$35 for 4gbs. ~$50 for 8gbs. Now, you shouldn't go compare a computer that sells at $600 with 4gbs/500gb-hdd and is in pristine condition to one that barely tops $500, and has lower specs on both hdd and ram.

I was also using the price guess assuming the condition is great. Some of the listing you posted were of MacBooks that had dents, "heavy usage," broken trackpads, or all three of those. You obviously can't expect those to get top dollar. Condition is the key factor in price. I would pay $50 more just to have something scratch free.

Apple MacBook 13.3" | eBay
Apple MacBook Aluminum Unibody| eBay
APPLE MACBOOK ALUMINUM UNIBODY| eBay
Apple MacBook Aluminum Unibody | eBay

PS: Safari refreshed ALL of my pages while I was on my LAST sentence! I AM NOT A HAPPY PANDA RIGHT NOW! ihadtoretypeallofthat:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you would be surprised how many people there are that aren't tech savvy, and don't want to even think about the idea of having to open their computer up.

Are you serious??? After almost 13,000 posts here on Mac-Forums...I think I have a pretty good idea that there's a significant percent of users out there that aren't "tech savvy"...and don't want to be! lol ;)

When I gave the OP a "guestimate" of the value of the Aluminum MacBook in question...I try to be on the edge of conservative/realistic. So when I mentioned $500-$550...I'm basing this on my years of experience watching/buying/selling computers on CL...and somewhat on e-Bay. If the OP tried to sell their computer for this price...it would probably sell fairly quickly. Too much higher...and the sale could drag out for weeks.

I know that a 2.0ghz, 2.26ghz, or 2.4ghz "White" MacBook will sell for about $350-$450 on CL (since I've bought & sold about 6-7 of them in the last 2-2.5 years...for my families use)...so I'm giving the 2.0ghz Aluminum MacBook a $50-$100 premium for it's differences from the White MacBooks.

Will folks see sellers on CL trying to sell Aluminum MacBooks for more...sure. But they're not selling very fast...or selling at all. These sellers either keep reposting the same over-priced computer...or they keep reducing the price by $25-$50 each week until it sells. Plus like you mentioned above...you never really know what a CL computer actually sells for after negotiating.

And of course there can be BIG differences between the "selling norms" from city to city for CL. I'm sure things sell differently in Los Angeles, New York, or Chicago...compared to Baltimore, MD.; Harrisburg, PA.; or Springfield, Mass.

- Nick

p.s. My most recent Macintosh CL "deal" was a 2009 White Unibody MacBook, 2.26ghz, 2gig ram, 250gig HD for $400. Still had original box & gray DVD's.:)

My most recent "Windows" PC deal was a Dell Latitude D620 laptop for $140 (with Windows 7 on it). Just got it today (Sunday). Christmas present for my father-in-law.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Umm...I guess we are in some sort of agreement. lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.