getting frustrated, need a hand

Reaction score
So I finally made the switch and picked up a iMac 20 incher. I love the monitor and the interface so far, much better than my old Gateway. I am having a couple problems however that I have no idea how to fix ( I feel so dumb using this thing).

So here are the basic questions I have...
1. How do I terminate a program? I right clicked on it and tried to force quit but the program is still running.
2. I downloaded a program to install, i opened up the zip file (or whatever it was) and it did something and then dissapeared, I have no clue where it went or how to access it.
3. I downloaded some program named something like rarX....or something similar that I saw in one of those switchers guides. How do I use that **** thing? I tried dragging the rar file into the window and it froze. I just clicking browse and it didnt do anything.
4. How do I shutdown/restart this thing?

I'm not usually this clueless but it did take me almost an hour to figure out how to resize a stupid window.

Reaction score
1. Generally if you want to close a program completely you hit Command (Apple) + q. Not sure why force quit didn't work.. It should have.

2. Can you let us know what program you were trying to install? Maybe if we know what you were installing we can figure out where the file went.

3. Sorry can't help you there. Have never used rarX.

4. Upper left hand corner, apple icon, that should allow you to shut down or restart. or you can hit the power button, but since you got the imac, the power button isn't right next to the keyboard like it is in the macbook pro. Or for keyboard shortcuts (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106567) But the main one to access all is Control+Eject (if you have an apple keyboard).

Reaction score
The first thing you need is the "Missing Manual".

Get the book called:
"Switching to the Mac - The Missing Manual"
I bought and read it before I got my new Mac, and it answered pretty much all of your questions.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'll have to pick up that book.

I just did a little bit of research on this site and found an app called unarchiver which unpacks RAR files, it works real well.

I believe when I download a zip file, Stuffit opens it? When it unpacks it, where does it unpack it too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
1. To close a program go up to the top and click on the name of the program. Down at the bottom it says "quit....."

2. Click on "finder" on your dock and you'll find your installed program.

3. Can't answer #3

4. To shut down and/or restart, go to the blue apple in the upper left corner and a drop down menu will give you these options

Good luck...really the Mac just takes a little getting used to, then you'll be singing it's praises!!

And, by the way, welcome:>)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.