Getting back crashed drive

Reaction score
Please help!
The shop in Guatemala City that replaced my hard drive with a new one, says that they can not return to me the crashed hard drive unless I pay and extra amount of money from the original quote.

This shop argues that my crashed drive has to be sent to Apple. Is this Apple policy? Can someone tell me if this is true?

Thank you very much!
Jorge Guzman

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple doesn't care about your crashed drive. I can't imagine this being a policy of them, the shop is likely lying to you. Did they just replace the drive or restore your data as well? Did they specifically indicate that you wouldn't get your original drive back before the work began?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It might be Apple policy. Was the shop Apple Certified?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What strikes me as odd is that if it's Apple policy, there shouldn't be an amount at which they would hand it over defying that policy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What strikes me as odd is that if it's Apple policy, there shouldn't be an amount at which they would hand it over defying that policy?
I always thought that was the policy. They replace the drive, but if you want the original drive back, you pay extra.

If the drive is soldered in place....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I suppose it would be good to know what Mac this was for. Either way, not much we can do to specifically the OP since neither Apple or this store is going to listen to us. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe it is Apple policy to keep parts that were removed and replaced under warranty. An out of warranty repair is a different matter and I have no idea what Apple does with removed parts in that situation.

The OP has not mentioned whether the hard drive to be replaced is under warranty by Apple.

krs

Reaction score
I believe it is Apple policy to keep parts that were removed and replaced under warranty. An out of warranty repair is a different matter and I have no idea what Apple does with removed parts in that situation.
Absolutely nothing.

That process is just there to keep the shop honest if they claim a warranty repair and Apple provides a replacement drive at no cost.
If the crashed drive is not returned to Apple, they will charge the shop for the replacement.

This all assumes a "Warranty Repair"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That process is just there to keep the shop honest if they claim a warranty repair and Apple provides a replacement drive at no cost.
If the crashed drive is not returned to Apple, they will charge the shop for the replacement.

That makes sense and is actually a good policy to keep Authorized Apple Service Repair shops honest.

Reaction score
Please help!
The shop in Guatemala City that replaced my hard drive with a new one, says that they can not return to me the crashed hard drive unless I pay and extra amount of money from the original quote.

This shop argues that my crashed drive has to be sent to Apple. Is this Apple policy? Can someone tell me if this is true?

Generally (i.e. in any field where an authorized dealer does warranty repairs for a company), any part that is replaced under warranty by a shop has to be retained by that shop for a certain period of time. If the company that paid for the warranty repair has any questions about the authenticity of the repair, the shop must provide them with the original part that was replaced. After the specified period of time, the shop is often required to destroy the original (defective) part and prove that it was destroyed by sending a photo of the destroyed piece showing the bar code.

Let me tell you something interesting about data recovery from a failed hard drive that IS NOT under warranty. I learned this from a friend in the hard drive recovery business. Over 90% of the businesses that say that they do data recovery don't do any data recovery themselves. They take your hard drive into the back room, put it in a box, and overnight it to Seagate Data Recovery. Seagate Data Recovery is the world's largest hard drive recovery service. A couple of weeks later, you pick up a new replacement hard drive with all of your recovered data on it, unaware that the place that you had "do the recovery" has no recovery equipment in their back room! And...you won't get your old hard drive back. It is Seagate policy not to *ever* send your old drive back (they have to disassemble and basically destroy your old hard drive to do the recovery):

Also interesting...the last time that I checked, Seagate Recovery offers data recovery policies (for a very attractive price..but only when you purchase a new hard drive or computer) and they will recover your data for you if your hard drive fails within the policy period, for no additional charge under that policy, and you don't have to have a Seagate drive to purchase such a policy!

e.g.:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.