Gets Way too Hot

Reaction score
My new Mac Book Pro heats up like crazy.

If i touch the top space between the screen and the top most keys it is hot as heck. I mean it hurts to keep your fingers there... and i might be able to literally fry an egg on the bottom

Is this normal????? What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
What are you running? Depending on how many things and how much virtual memory and speed it takes up on your MBP, your fans may be maxing out,it may be too much to even touch that area. When I run mine its perfectly fine, I don't have any problems running itunes/safari/ichat/lightroom or aperture at once on my lap. If you are just running a few apps at once minus Lightroom or Aperture, you should be fine. I am able to run all those things at once with no lag or heat problems with my base model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Mine gets that hot, a lot. Even when doing simple things. Many people are saying it is normal. I've had mine for almost 2 years with no problems. Thus they are calling them notebook computers not laptops...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
you can get the widget istatpro & keep on eye on the temp, its normal for it to get to-hot-to-touch, but you can easily find out what's too hot by seeing an actual number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
you can get the widget istatpro & keep on eye on the temp, its normal for it to get to-hot-to-touch, but you can easily find out what's too hot by seeing an actual number

Yeah, I guess I should have included that info.

Currently my temps are...

attachment.php

Temps shown in Fahrenheit.
Current Apps Running
Finder
Mail
Safari
iCal
iTunes
Transmission

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
not gonna lie.. that's kind of ridiculous..
i run:
finder
mail
safari
itunes
transmission
and i get 70 AT THE MOST.

and when im sound producing, i have:
reason
recycle
logic
finale
audacity
and i get the same results.

OP
P
Reaction score
I got iStatpro it says my fans are running at 2000~ rpm and my hottest temp is the CPU diode at 68 degrees but i still think that it feels alot hotter than that, i mean 68 is actually pretty cool and the laptop gets hot, id say like 80 or 90

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I got iStatpro it says my fans are running at 2000~ rpm and my hottest temp is the CPU diode at 68 degrees but i still think that it feels alot hotter than that, i mean 68 is actually pretty cool and the laptop gets hot, id say like 80 or 90
the numbers you are seeing are in Celsius...
So it is 68C which is 154.4F. Pretty hot, but perfectly normal...

The hottest I've ever gotten is around 85C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Just as a reference, I've complained about my MBP's heat for the past month or so. I bought it 3 months ago, and I have yet to use it on my lap and be "comfortable" without upping the fans via smcFanControl. For reference, I have finder, mail, safari (this forum, hah), and msn messenger open, and attached is a pic of my temps.

Picture 1.png

OP
P
Reaction score
it got up to 76 degrees today

is that anything i should be worrying about? whats the temp where i should start worrying?>/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.