Get rid of tabs in Safari on iPad Big Sur.

Reaction score
On the Mac you can have new URLs load in new windows, not tabs. I do not want new tabs on the iPad either. But since updating to Big Sur, I cannot find a way to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
(Have you updated your iPad to iOS 15 yet?) Updating your Mac to Big Sur should not have changed the way Tabs behave on your iPad.

You can access Safari settings from your iPad's "Settings", and then scroll down to the application Safari. I'm not sure if you can change the way Tabs behave from there but give it a try.

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
(Have you updated your iPad to iOS 15 yet?) Updating your Mac to Big Sur should not have changed the way Tabs behave on your iPad.

You can access Safari settings from your iPad's "Settings", and then scroll down to the application Safari. I'm not sure if you can change the way Tabs behave from there but give it a try.
Before I updated to Big Sur I had set my preference on the iPad to no tabs, now thee is no such option, at least that I can find. That is why I asked the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Whoopie I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Big Sur runs on a Mac computer and NOT on an iPad, has no impact on the iPad operation at all. So there cannot possibly be any connection other than pure coincidence. What version of iPadOS is on the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Which browser are you using on the iPad? I've never seen a preference for "no tabs"? Tabs are a necessity on devices, unlike PC's.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before I updated to Big Sur I had set my preference on the iPad to no tabs, now thee is no such option, at least that I can find. That is why I asked the question.

@Whoopie: I think you're somehow confusing the Safari settings on your iPad to those on your Mac. I checked the Safari settings in the latest version of iOS/iPadOS 15 and there is no Tab setting. And, I don't ever remember such a setting for Safari on the iPad or iPhone.

Could you by chance be using a different browser on your iPad such as Chrome or Brave?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Safari 15.0 is available for down load on appropriate Macs. Just appeared for me a few hours ago. Not dealt with it yet.

Maybe the OP is confusing MacOS with iOS??

As far as iDevices are concerned, there is a curious notification. In Settings > General > Software Update, I see this on my iPhone 11 Pro:

iOS 14.8
Your iPhone Software is up to date

Then much lower down:

ALSO AVAILABLE
Upgrade to iOS 15

It seems as though it were offering this as an added extra. I've not seen this previously. It was always Software update............

There is no mention of Safari.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems as though it were offering this as an added extra. I've not seen this previously. It was always Software update............

Same here Ian. I decided to install iOS 15 even though it appeared that Apple considered iOS up to date with version 14.8.

I do like the new features of iOS 15 and find that my iPhone seems a bit faster doing things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe they were referring to Safari on iOS 15? That's what my mind tells me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.