Genieo Innovation

Reaction score
I recently updated to OSX Yosemite. Shortly after that I found adware on my computer and used AVG to delete it. I have now AVG running constantly. Everyday for the last few days, it has detected a file from GenieoInnovation trying to download. I always delete it. My question is, what is it and why is it trying to download? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect that part of the Genieo program is still installed and that is what is triggering the download. There are a number of sites which have directions for manually removing it but apparently the files which need to be removed vary a bit with each new iteration.

My personal choice for getting rid of it and any other Malware would be AdwareMedic

You can find a good overview of this piece of Malware here along with one set of manual removal instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't use AVG - no viruses for OS X. Genieo came with other downloads, and often AVG is to blame.. Also steer clear of CNET and Soctonic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.