• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Garmin GPS - how to dispose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - this is unrelated to Apple HW/SW, so in the lounge - back in August 2010, my wife 'kind of' talked me into buying a GPS system for the car (or rental cars), so we went to Best Buy and purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1300 w/ 'lifelong map updates' - well I used it on a number of trips and helped me once in Maine; not needed where I live (know the area well, i.e. Mid-Atlantic states); plus, wife now has an iPhone 6 which is likely better than having this old GPS system.

SO, how does one dispose of an unwanted GPS w/ maps forever? LOL!

Options considering: 1) Recycle for parts (Goodwill does this w/ old electronics) but what personal info is on this device (there appears to be no 'reset' option); 2) Destroy w/ a sledge hammer (or other appropriate tool - I have plenty in my workshop); or 3) Donate to someone or some organization that can use it, BUT it's tied to my account and map update information, so don't see it being of much use to others?

BOY, how many of these GPS devices were bought that now appear to be completely obsolete and cannot to given to someone else to use. I left an email @ the Garmin website and will await their advice; if Goodwill can make some change from recycled parts, then a fine choice for me but I don't want then looking at my information (if there even is any of importance) - OK - done for now - would appreciate any comments. Thanks - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That "maps forever" option sounds so great when you buy one of these things (I think the wife & I have gotten at least two of these over the years). Then newer models come out with "got to have" features (and many times a larger display)…making the old unit a paperweight.

Plus like you mentioned…new devices come out with GPS (smartphones)…again making the old units less desirable or necessary to use.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
You can download Garmin Express app and it will let you reset / wipe clean your satnav.

FWIW, I use my Garmin nüvi 3790LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) all the time, although it mostly just displays data from car's OBDII via Garmin ecoRoute+HD.

However, I've only just went from our two antiquated iPhone 4 to 6 and 6+ for my wife, so with Siri now I suppose I can talk to my phone, just as I have done to my Garmin satnav for the past four years, although it doesn't require me touching the unit to wake up "Emily" :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can download Garmin Express app and it will let you reset / wipe clean your satnav.

FWIW, I use my Garmin nüvi 3790LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) all the time, although it mostly just displays data from car's OBDII via Garmin ecoRoute+HD.

However, I've only just went from our two antiquated iPhone 4 to 6 and 6+ for my wife, so with Siri now I suppose I can talk to my phone, just as I have done to my Garmin satnav for the past four years, although it doesn't require me touching the unit to wake up "Emily" :)

Thanks Guys for the comments - I assume if the Garmin can be 'wiped' cleaned and I then gave the device to Goodwill, it would be unuseable as a GPS system since there would be no map descriptions or at least updates; thus, Goodwill would probably recycle it for parts (at least that was the discussion I had w/ then a year or so ago about donating 'broken' or old electronics).

But, I really have no use for it at the moment - I'm sure someone would love the device but don't believe these 'life time' maps are transferrable? I've sent Garmin an email posing a variety of questions but have not heard back yet. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But, I really have no use for it at the moment - I'm sure someone would love the device but don't believe these 'life time' maps are transferrable? I've sent Garmin an email posing a variety of questions but have not heard back yet. Dave :)

Do you have a family member that could use it? If so…maybe you could load the map/maps for their area…and then they could use it locally. Just a thought.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I assume if the Garmin can be 'wiped' cleaned and I then gave the device to Goodwill, it would be unuseable as a GPS system since there would be no map descriptions or at least updates

No, just the user data, favourites, and history (routes etc) will be wiped, and the OS restored to factory settings, plus any updates to date.

The lifetime map update entitlement is linked to your Garmin serial number, not you personally, so it is rather easy to sell / pass on, and any reset will certainly not render the unit unusable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a family member that could use it? If so…maybe you could load the map/maps for their area…and then they could use it locally. Just a thought. - Nick

That's exactly what I did with mine, only it was to a friend who really needed it for their job, and since they live here in Texas, we kept the same maps.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what I did with mine, only it was to a friend who really needed it for their job, and since they live here in Texas, we kept the same maps.

Thanks ALL for the further comments. I did receive an email response from Garmin (quoted below) explaining how to perform a 'master reset' - followed the directions and the maneuver worked as described; so the device is reset.

I do have two younger brothers who live in Hot Springs, AR, but neither works and pretty much stay in the town - don't believe that they have left the state in years; and the one person on my wife's side of the family who could use one already owns a GPS device & a smartphone. I have a bunch of Goodwill items accumulating in the basement, so might just give it to them.

Again, thanks for all of the advice - Dave :)

To perform a master reset on the nuvi 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1690 series device:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
Release the power button when the device powers ON
You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
Touch Yes
If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.