GarageBand: USB mic + audio interface for simultaneous recording?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m new to GarageBand, and would really appreciate it if someone could explain how I could record vocals and piano (or guitar) at the same time on my MacBook, using my Focusrite 4i4 for the instrument and my Samson C01U Pro USB mic (which, unhelpfully, can’t plug into the Focusrite). I’ve tried creating an aggregate device, but didn’t understand the parts about the word clock and so forth. Or is it simply not possible, and I'll need to buy a non-USB mic to hook up to the Focusrite? Thanks in advance!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. And thank you for your post.

As you are new to GarageBand, this article takes you through the steps for simultaneous recording, as well as offering tutorials in using this app in general: Record to multiple audio tracks, GarageBand Help

This might help too although it is a very dated article: Putting the band into GarageBand | Macworld

I'm afraid I cannot help with Focusrite4i4 or the mic.

Others who use GB regularly will hopefully chime in soon.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.