Game not processing in background after update to Yosemite

Reaction score
Something is not right with my Mac. Something is wrong with the Mac allowing a program run/process in the background and when minimized.

There is a game I have been playing for years. It is a sports sim game. There is an option to run it in full screen mode, which means I cannot do anything but play the game when in that mode, and then there is windowed mode where I can minimize/maximize, move it around, adjust the size of the screen, etc. I use windowed mode so that I can multitask like browsing the net, or have an excel file open. For years, I have always either minimized it or simple rang a webpage over it, and never had an issue. It has always kept processing my game. For example, when advancing over several days in the game, I would either minimize it or open up the web browser over and it and do my thing. Then a few mins later I'd return and the game would be done advancing through a match or through the x amount of days I asked it to advance through.It has always processed and ran in the background. Never had an issue.

Today when I got back from work, I noticed there was a Yosemite update. So I ran that, completed it and now that game does not process in the background. Every time I pull up a webpage, the processor of that game pauses and waits until I bring the screen back up. It is like the OS is freezing ever background program that I do not have open in front of me. It has never done this before. This game has always ran in the background without any problem.

So, something got switched by the update. What do you think it is? What can I do to fix this?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MacInWin

That's now how Yosemite is working for me. Does the game have an update for Yosemite? Apple did change the operation of the red, green and yellow buttons at the top left, are you using them and are you aware of the changes? Red now actually closes, Green now goes full screen instead of smart-full-screen, I'm not sure if yellow changed, it still seems to park on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
First, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, for such a verbose OP, almost no information is offered to help you. Please provide for starters: 1) Computer type, model, & year; 2) What OS X was installed before upgrading to Yosemite; 3) What is the name of the game; 4) Do you have a Time Machine backup and/or a cloned backup; 5) Did the OS X upgrade go as you expected or did you have any issues; and 6) Are there any other problems you have noticed after the upgrade?

Finally, did you know what Yosemite was before glibly downloading one of the major OS X upgrades in a number of years - just curious? Answers to these questions will help since your game may not even be compatible w/ Yosemite? Dave

OP
U
Reaction score
That's now how Yosemite is working for me. Does the game have an update for Yosemite? Apple did change the operation of the red, green and yellow buttons at the top left, are you using them and are you aware of the changes? Red now actually closes, Green now goes full screen instead of smart-full-screen, I'm not sure if yellow changed, it still seems to park on the dock.

I don't touch those. I will have the game running right in front of me, and then I will click on my web browser, the web browser screen would then open up in front of the game, not minimizing it or anything, and it will pause the game. I then minimize the browser and would then have to click on the game again in order for it to start back up.

Last edited:
OP
U
Reaction score
1) Computer type, model, & year;
-Mac Air 2014, i7 8gb ram

2) What OS X was installed before upgrading to Yosemite
-This update wasn't an upgrade. It was just a small update Yosemite released. I upgraded to Yosemite a while ago, the day it became available. When I bought this Mac back in April, OS Maverick was installed. Upgrading to Yosemite wasn't the issue. I didn't have the background issue with the game when I upgraded. The issue started this afternoon when Apple released a small Yosemite updated

3) What is the name of the game
Football Manager 2015. The issue isn't the game. Talked to people on those forums. It runs in the background just fine for them.

4) Do you have a Time Machine backup and/or a cloned backup;
No clue. Guess that would mean no?

5) Did the OS X upgrade go as you expected or did you have any issues; and
Again, this wasn't an upgrade. Just a small updated that was patched in this afternoon. And there was no issue.

6) Are there any other problems you have noticed after the upgrade?
Not that I am aware of.

M

MacInWin

Try this and let us know the results. Open Activity Monitor (In Utilities in Applications) and go to the CPU tab. Sort by the "%CPU" column so the highest users are at the top. Now start the game and set it going as you usually do. Switch the Activity Monitor window and watch to see if %CPU drops to zero or nearly so. That would indicate that the game is stopped or pauses. If it's still taking about the same %CPU, then it's running, doing something. I don't play games, but I do stream music and the music keeps running when I'm in a different window. I also run Parallels with Win7 and it keeps running when I move to a different window, so Yosemite definitely should be multitasking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.