G5 - Virtual PC

W

WilliS

Hi, im new to this forum, so im not sure how much has been asked about this, but i reciently got a dual processor g5, and i want to run some of my pc games on it. (im not a pc fan, i just enjoy gaming, and before recienly it was much harder to do any gaming unless you owned a pc)

i know virtual pc is not written for the g5 dual processor yet, but wintel 1.0.1 is supposed to work.

if anyone has tried using wintel 1.0.1 and put winxp on it, could you give me a report of how it ran? and maybe how bogged down the system was when playing a game?

my g5 has the normal 512mb of ram, so im a little worried about running a game on an emulated operating system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Eeek! G5 with 512 RAM? man, If I had your G5, Ide pack it with like 2GB of RAM :)

I know VPC does not have graphics support yet. But if you play cheap games that don't require much graphic intense processes you should be fine.

Pretty much any good game you want to play.. will have a macintosh version :) and It will run supa fast on your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I've never heard on Wintel ( the app ) before, will have to look into it...

I know that DirectX is NOT a part of Virtual PC yet, or at least not enough to make your games work.

OP
W

WilliS

well, apparently virtual pc isnt written to support a dual processor so it wont install on the G5 at all, the software has to be rewritten for the g5...and knowing bill gates, why would he do that? cuz 10 little g5 users want to run winxp? pfft..cost him too much money...not that i want his faulty software anyway, i just need it to run everquest ;)...i know there is a mac version out there, but ive played my character for a year, and the server im on is only for pc, i dont believe the new mac version of eq will be able to play on the same servers...

and wintel would be an ok idea, but it even says on the software website that "winxp and 2k run slower and are not recommended"..which sucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, I keep hearing rumors of a smooth running PC Emulator... VPC apparently could make itself alot of improvement, and some guys found a way... though, I don't rem where the link was.

OP
W

WilliS

/cry

if you happen to stumble across it, or if someone else knows it, i would be delighted to know :)

thanks in advance

OP
G

game64

Maybe this helps . . .

I used an emulator on Win XP with 256 megs of ram, 1.2 ghz processor and i ran Linux Redhat and Mandrake at once, and it was pretty easy, no probs really just a little slowing down.

OP
W

WilliS

ive still found nothing :(

im kinda worried about using wintel 1.0.1 or whatever they have that they claim to be "optimized for g5"...but the front page of their site says "not recommended for xp"...which would be the only microsoft os i would even bother with. (and even thats a stretch for me, but gaming is too fun to give up....)

someone told me they have a friend running windows xp emulated on their g5 dual 2ghz.....but never got back to me, and when i asked about it, they said "he just installed xp on it, i dunno" ....lol yea..ok...just boot right off xp disc :-\

anyway, if anyone has an update on virtual pc, a new wintel for xp, or any emulation that i could run to make xp run pretty smoothly, please help me out :)

im an everquest addict, and i need my fix /wink hehehe

OP
R

RobDreugan

You gotta give up the addiction =P. I used to play, so I know what ya mean.

OP
W

WilliS

hehe whats the fun in that?

ive been playing for 1 year, i have 100 days logged on my char.....thats roughly 6.5 hours a day of playing hehe

i havent played in 3 months though cuz i left my pc home from college...which is why i want to get xp on my G5 hehe

and i wouldnt be so addicted now...i just enjoy playing it now hehe

OP
R

RobDreugan

Ahh, Well I guess it may be different for you at least. I started playing well before Kunark came out, if that's any reference to how long it was. I don't recall the number of played days I had, although I'm sure it was something rediculous; Might have been around 140 or something.

I'm pretty sure, that I'm glad I don't remember the amount played. I had sold my account for a grand right before Planes of Power came out, so it was a fitting goodbye, **** game got sorta boring.

At least on the server I played it just got too competitive, and reptitious for me.

<3 Sk's..

OP
W

WilliS

:p hehe im a magician here

blah g5 users to tell me what they are using to run xp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I don't see why you would have to have XP to play games.

Although, you are going to have to wait. Wintel might let you run x86 operating systems, but the fact remains a lot of games are written for DirectX and DirectX isn't written for Apple OS/Graphic Cards/Processor.

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.