G5 Very slow printing to HP 2800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi all, When i send a file (pdf 180k) from my G5 (Leopard 10.5.04) to my HP Business inkjet 2800 it takes ages sending the data! (connected via usb) any reason for this or any fixes?, It's doing my head in!.

Many thanks

Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Can you define 'ages'. Is it a minute or less, or are we talking several minutes?

I assume you have the latest drivers for this machine (sometimes it's worth downloading drivers from the site, even if Leopard says it has the latest drivers.)

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
I have just downloaded the latest drivers from the HP website, It just seems to say sending data for about 3/4 minutes and it's only 180k!, I have had to plug it in to my PC to print things now but i really want it in the Mac.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, I just had a look around, and this is a common and known issue. It seems HP cannot be bothered to update their drivers to support the Mac properly either.

Reaction score
Patched Driver for faster printing on HP Business Inkjet 2800

Hi HP2800 Users,

The slow printing of the HP Business Inkjet 2800 on Mac is over.

Content:
A printer-driver for the Hewlett-Packard Business Inkjet 2800 for faster printing.

Problem:
The original printer-driver of HP needs a very long time, especially for pictures (p.e. screenshots), for delivering the data to the printer and starting print. Times of 15-30 minuten were not unusual.

Solution:
With the appended printer-driver hp2800+ this timing will be improved.
The new 2800+-driver (ppd-Datei) was developed on base of the driver of HP Business Inkjet 2300. This 2300-driver is modified to support papersizes to A3, duplex-printing and the second paper-tray.

Installation:
After installing at least one printer 2800 by the common way (for verifying the plugins are available) do:
- Copy the file "HP Business Inkjet 2800+" (ppd) in the folder "/Volume/Library/Printer/PPDs/Contents/Resources/de.lproj". IF "de.lproj" does not exist, create it.
- Copy the file "HP Business Inkjet 2800+.icns" in the folder "/Volume/Library/Printer/hp/Icons".
- Create a new printer-queue.
- Choose as driver in "Others" the "HP Business Inkjet 2800+" from upper folder manually.
- Choose the options (Tray2, Duplex, RAM) manually.

From now on, printing should start short after submitting data.

Zeilinger

P.S. Sorry for german version. Try to install the driver under en.lproj and give feedback.
See here for newer Versions MacUser.de Community

View attachment HP 2800Plus.zip

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm really stuck on this one, The resolution above did not work for me.

Has any body actually solved this issue?

Cheers

Matt Gibson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.