G5 Probs galore!

C

cre8ivepixel

I'm a recently converted Windoze guy to OS(u)X and I have a G5 1.6 with 2GB RAM. Overall, I have a three year old 1.4 AMD with only 1GB of memory and real world tests show that the AMD makes the G5 look like it is standing still. All these years I have been using a PC and I finally buy a G5 and only to find out that it has more problems than it is worth! I lost over $2,000 on this whole machine. I should have stuck with a PC. Apple's claims about speed are ridiculous and clealry unsubstantiated in the real world.

Overall, this machine has randomly frozen more in the last week that I have had it than my AMD did in three years...no joke. I am just now reading about the same fan problems I am having. Of all the people for this to happen to, I am not the one. If all my friends knew that I bought a Mac (from being a PeeCeer all these years), Apple must have done something right, right? Wrong! They did with Panther and the G4's. Unfortunately, I ended up with a G5 and got a bum deal! All my associates now realize how right I have been all of these years about Apple. I went against the grain and got bit in the *** for it!

I would have been a great testament for Apple if I had a decent machine that rocked...instead, I now have more ammunition for my anti-Apple campaign. And trust me, no one more than I wanted to prove myself wrong about all those things I said about Apple..but they failed on me and now they have proven me right. Apple machines are just outright overlypriced, underacheived, highly marketied wastes of time...and money.

I will never buy another Apple product again and will look forward to selling this thing online ASAP. Too late to return and far too costly.

I tried...believe me I tried to like Apple based on my experience with Panther and the G4 I have at work...but they failed with the G5...bad machine..don't waste your money on it...

Thanks,
cre8ivepixel
www.cre8ivepixel.com

By the way..my entire award-winning site was all done on a PC...I am afraid to work on my site on this machine for fear of it crashing randomly and me losing work. Right now this thing is nothing more than an overlypriced typewriter...I went back to my 3 year old AMD that makes this thing look like it is standing still...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well well. Crashed a Mac? get an award! PC better? Are you completely mad? You must have missed repairing permissions and/or crons. Crashing a Unix kernel BSD system deserves the ditz award of the century. So you expect better stability from a pc? Lots of luck DID you learn nothing from the past months worm fest? How about this sweetness? Next Mac you get - take care of it. They are Great, not magic! :rolleyes:

OP
W

WilliS

hehe....

well, i give you this... im glad you gave apple a shot...

but...
1. your switch to mac was into unexplored territory really... some g5s have had problems... its their first release... cant expect it to be perfect... in fact my dual 2ghz g5 (i preordered it...so it was one of the very first) had some issues that apple couldnt explain with tech support...and it was all fixed with a simple format...

2. your obviously not open minded about it, rather griping about your waste of money...which im sure if you talk with apple, can easily be figured out... and they would probably send you a box to ship it back, and fix the problems you have.

3. did you try formatting? did you try the firmware update? did you try doing anything besides complaining? lol

i had a problem with my ibook once, and within 3 days of calling apple about it, they had a padded, self addressed and stamped box sent to my house ready to ship it out to be fixed... they are quite friendly if you are open enough to talk to them...

and if you are looking to make a point, your on the wrong message board lol... try going to an amd opteron board or whatever it is...and preach to the choir :)

hmmm i ask you this... you were open minded enough to buy a mac, against much of the masses who own pcs... be open minded enough to solve the problem before you complain about how bad they are. obviously its not working right... fix it, then tell us how bad it is (which it wont be when running correctly)

and i didnt buy a mac cuz it makes games run pretty or anything... it gets work done efficiently, fast, and more reliably than any other computer out there...unless you want to consider unix servers lol. furthermore, it looks good, the OS is 100x winblows... and i can still run games better than any PC of equivalent price

nice work on the site.. but macs still own the graphic/video/audio industry, hands down.... i begin to wonder, what does the pc industry do better? besides headaches?

OP
R

RobDreugan

Well it's actually not possible for the 1.4amd to even hold a candle to the G5, even the 1.6.

But that's besides the point. Obviously, you are having some hardware issues with the G5 if it's really struggling as much as you say. Call apple, have them fix it.

I've got a dual g5 and I've got them coming out to my place to swap out the board and processors. ya there are problems, but at least apple is willing to do the right thing and fix their stuff.

Pretty nice site too.

(Just an aside: I don't get why people get on here to ***** about it. ***** to apple where you could probably get something done. Bitching on a message board doesn't do anything except alienating people on the board lol)

Good luck.

OP
C

cre8ivepixel

nope...not completely made. onl;y reporting as i seem them. for your information..i most certainly have tried repairing permissions, reformatting hard drive, cron,s pick one and i have tried it. for more of your information, i have been using macs at all the agencies i have ever worked at and for for over 12 years and know what i am doing/talking about.

i was merely reporting problems to others who might be interested in buying a G5 and lisitng my position as a new Mac owner.

To lock a Unix system is quite possible...evidentally. If you read the other posts on this board about G5's you'll see I'm not alone.

thank you for your reply...

OP
C

cre8ivepixel

i have tried to fix the problem. i am an expert mac user...it's not like i JUST discovered them. I am very happy with the perfromance of the G4 I use at work running Panther...hence my decision to buy Mac and not PC...however, there seems to be a major flaw in the G5 system. Unfortunately, I found out too late...already bought it thinking I might be ahead of the game by buying into Apple's marketing..D'OH! <--suckuh!

LOL

Thanks for your reply...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Get Apple to fix it. A guy here in Miami had his G5 blow up and they had him fixed like the next day - it was posted in the Gold Coast Mac user groups here in S Florida. The store was the Apple store in the Aventura Mall on Biscayne blvd (the 189 block or so)

OP
R

RobDreugan

cre8ivepixel said:
nope...not completely made. onl;y reporting as i seem them. for your information..i most certainly have tried repairing permissions, reformatting hard drive, cron,s pick one and i have tried it. for more of your information, i have been using macs at all the agencies i have ever worked at and for for over 12 years and know what i am doing/talking about.

i was merely reporting problems to others who might be interested in buying a G5 and lisitng my position as a new Mac owner.

To lock a Unix system is quite possible...evidentally. If you read the other posts on this board about G5's you'll see I'm not alone.

thank you for your reply...

Well, if you look at my profile, you'll see I have a G5, and you'll see i've also posted about G5 problems. =) You make it sound like I'm calling you crazy for saying there's something wrong with a G5.

The way you speak it appears that no matter how "expert" you are, you've apparently overlooked the obvious. Apple will fix the system. Yes, there are obviously problems, but they will and do fix them. They want to fix them, b/c this is their new baby and it needs to be successful...so believe me they'll bend over for ya.

Also, I don't doubt u know how to use a mac, but your original post's tone makes u sound like an angry 10 year old who doesn't get the fact that you can have it repaired, most likely still under waranty, at no cost, but time to you.

As far as locking a unix system, 9 times out of 10 hardware problems contribute greatly to system haults in a unix system, not so much software. When i finally get a new motherboard that works for my G5, I'm sure my systems haults will..well come to a hault.

OP
H

h3o

i've never seen so many stock photo cliché images in one design! (your annual report) You got the cliché hand shaking thing, the graph with the arrow going up, the keyboard, and the fricken globe. If you search google for "annual report" "investor relations" you can request free annual reports from big corporations like Apple, Pixar, Dell, FedEx, etc. to get some ideas of how the pros do it. By the way, more than 80% of the design industry use macs. At big time graphic design and advertising firms (the ones that have accounts with fortune 500 companies, etc), you will only see one or two PC's in the office, and they are only used for:

1. testing sites
2. Kazaa
3. gaming
4. the tower makes a great footrest and manila folder holder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.