G5 Powerbooks?

OP
R

Ryanstech

MAC-simus said:
it could very well have a wheels and handle to roll it behind you like a suitcase :p

somebody has a very "thick" imagination :)

Ha yeah, but can you imagine what it would take to cram all of the G5 inards into a portable unit? It's like they would have to run water cooling! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have thought it over a lot, and I really wonder how it could be possible; there is no portable Cray... So... :)

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yah...your probably not going to see the G5's for a lil while...the closet that they have come to the portable size is the Xserve G5 servers, which i will say are pretty darn close to the PB size. Cooling...its defintly going to be an amazing cooling system forsure, considering the fact that the normal G5 towers have 5 fans in them and a state of the art air flow.

all i can say is if they do come with a G5 its going to be amazing...but dont expect if for about a year..maybe more ( they just released the 1.5 PB's )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Apparently according to MacUser magazine, IBM have got production problems trying to produce G5 chips with cooler running, using a different fabrication process to how the current G5 chips are made. MacUser reckons the G5 3.0 wont roll out in June, but maybe a 2.4GHz chip. When IBM eventually get the G5 3.0 rolling out, with cooler running, maybe then we'll see a G5 PowerBook with cooler running and no heat issues that gets discussed a lot in these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
My estimate: January 2005.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Nah the powerbooks will start at either 1.6 or 1.8ghz G5. I highly doubt you'll see a 3.0ghz G5 in a laptop for quite some time. Getting any chip to 3 ghz right now is totally uneconomical.

A- It puts out WAY too much heat to even joke about.
B- It would eat a battery very very quickly.

Anyways yeah I just hope Apple doesn't make a sacrifice like lowering the battery life to put a G5 chip in a powerbook. Hopefully they will wait and do it right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.