G5 keeps shutting down after new power supply

Reaction score
Okay, so my poor G5 is prehistoric but it has served me well until 2 months ago. Power supply died & had to be replaced. Fine, paid a helluva lot of money for it and hoped that the poor bugger will work for few more years.

After bringing it home it mysteriously started shutting down every 45 minutes or so. :Shouting: So I took it back to the shop and the guys there claimed that there is nothing wrong with it and that it did not turn off at the shop even once. So I though "oh, how typical" and took it back home. I turn it on and it starts installing new software. I realise that the idiots left a start up disc inside and it rebooted from it as I turned the computer on. And guess what then! It bloody turned off, while it was trying to install.

So now I have a G5 with partly installed software (AKA nothing works) and the computer still won't stay on for longer than half an hour. Oh, an apparently there's "nothing wrong with it". So, I need to phone the shop tomorrow and basically want to know are the computer guys lying to me? Is it possible that for some reason it won't randomly shut down there, but it will in my flat (tried plugging it in different places just to make sure it's not the plug)?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it on back to whoever worked on the G5 and insist they make it good. If it randomly shut down at your home, it'll do the same thing in the repair shop.
Are you sure they installed a new power supply in the G5 and not a rebuilt one?

Also, since this is your first post I cleaned up your language a bit. Please read our guidelines about language and masked words. Thanks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Take it on back to whoever worked on the G5 and insist they make it good. If it randomly shut down at your home, it'll do the same thing in the repair shop.
Are you sure they installed a new power supply in the G5 and not a rebuilt one?
I'm quite sure they did because they also gave me a 3 month warranty on the part, don't think they would do that for a rebuilt one.
Only other thing I can think of is a faulty power cable because I left mine at home and they have used their own. Could a power cable cause something like this?

Also, since this is your first post I cleaned up your language a bit. Please read our guidelines about language and masked words. Thanks.
Sorry, I've got a serious case of pottymouth, won't happen again. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Only other thing I can think of is a faulty power cable because I left mine at home and they have used their own. Could a power cable cause something like this?

It's certainly possible, but that should be easy enough to test by substituting another.

OP
L
Reaction score
Nope, that didn't work. :[
So it's not the power cable. Will have to take it back, but if anyone has any idea what could possibly be wrong please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have to ask the obvious question here. Why in the world did you spend all that money to keep and aging and, frankly, obsolete machine running? For the money you spent you could probably have purchased a low end Intel box that would run circles around that G5.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have to ask the obvious question here. Why in the world did you spend all that money to keep and aging and, frankly, obsolete machine running? For the money you spent you could probably have purchased a low end Intel box that would run circles around that G5.
I was hoping that they'll just fix it and I'll use it for another year or too. Guess that did not turn out the way I planned. My own fault though, should have let it rest in peace.
Decision has been made; won't take it back, will get the HD out, put it in a box and make a plan to get something else. Not sure it will be a Mac this time. :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.