G5 crashes all the time and i mean all the time

M

mtq1000

it doesnt just crash as in closes apps or gives me a kernel panic icon it really freezes up and doesnt let me do anything, the screen stays the same but nothing will move. If music is on it loops over and over again basically stuttering. I have tried everything under the sun, ive ran diskwarrior and techtools pro and everything checks out. Ive changed round all the memory modules i have and still no difference. It is really anoying me, i dont really want to phone applecare cause the charge alot just to chat. Has anyone heard of this before? mine has done this for months:( any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

OP
N

Nightblade

Yeah, I've definitely heard of problems with G5s regarding stability. Um, when did you get your G5?

OP
N

nicholas

The only thing I can think of before calling Apple again (maybe you should consider Applecare's 3 year extended warranty) is to use Norton systemworks' disk doctor, and OSX's repair permissions. Other than that...wow...you really have tried everything I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try booting to single user terminal - restart hold Apple S and once there type /sbin/fsck -fy until the **** file system ***** message stops showing

OP
M

mtq1000

i got it about must have been febuary. its done it since igot it which is crap. Ive been on here before talking about it bt not recently cause of exams. Ive used repair permissions and im trying to get a hold of norton system works just now. Im gonna get the exteneded warranty, hopefully i can get apple to sort this out it could be a fecked up logicboard. If it is i hope they do a clean swap or give me a new shiny G5. Its a dual 1.8 ive got by the way.

OP
M

mtq1000

i tried that, still crashes. the best combo of apps to get it to crash is bit torrent and safari it really doesnt like that. Even when its not those apps it still crashes though so its not a problem with indivdual apps that is causing this. I run all the unix and mac os x maintenance utilities all the time so its not poor house keeping either. I really belive that it is a hardware fault in the logic board cause the memory and HD check out as does the processors but techtools has no way of checking all the onbaord stuff on the logic board. Not a happy bunny :(

OP
W

werby

Have you run the Apple Hardware Test (CD1 that came with your G5, start up holding down option)? It really sounds like bad RAM to me.

OP
R

RobDreugan

I feel your pain, G5 brother.

Lemme tell you what to try and do because I think I already know where this is leading.

If you've put any third party memory in, take it out, if you have lots of devices that are external detatch them. Start with a barebone system and try to make it crash. When it crashes again, you'll know it's at least the system itself.

You've eliminated those sources as things that aren't working correctly.

Next, you need to run all the hardware tests. Let it check the existing memory, let it check everything it can. If it comes up clean, don't pull your hair out.

I got my G5 back in oct, and it had system haults right out of the box. I knew it was the motherboard since day 1 and when they finally changed it out, that's when all the problems stopped.

You need to go through every possible option before you call apple, and then call them, explain what you've done and say, you need a either a service tech to come out or an appt at a store for further testing.

(Think of it this way, if your brand new computer is locking up all the time with an OS that isn't designed to lock up ever then you have to look towards hardware. Sure, there's a chance there is a bad install of the OS or some app that could be messing things, but again, the program should quit, rather than hault the system.)

OP
M

mtq1000

Thanks

someone that feels my pain :D atleast im not totally alone thanks for all of that:). Heres what ive done, i have reinstalled mac os 3 times atleast maybe 4 and the problem persists. I have done system checks with installed ram and without installed ram, with new ram only and with mixes of ram. Im pretty sure it isn't ram. I just bought applecare extension and as soon as that bad boy hits my floor from the postie ill be calling apple up and complaining like a *****. I live in Scotland so im screwed from the point of view of an apple store but hopefully they will be willing enough to ship out a tech to see it. Id really rather not like to ship the G5 to them that would be really really anoying ITS HUGEEEEEE. I will give the reinstall OS another go and the hardware test over the next few days. I have tonnes of stuff to back up and no DVD burner to do it so this could take sum time. FUN.

OP
R

RobDreugan

K, far as I'm concerned it's the hardware inside of the G5.

If it's not the 3rd party ram, and it's not the original ram, you don't have anything else that you can really replace or remove in order to test the system.

Sure it could be the video card, or it could be a processor, or it could be onboard cache, or a faulty whatever, but the reality is this: It's apple hardware and it IS definitely something physical with that system.

What you might want to do is point out that since it's most likely one of these components they should ship u a new system and u ship the old one back.

I mean if there's nothing nearby, and they'd have to like fly someone out I don't know what other options there are, but you really really have to push them and speak to someone higher up than a person in tech support.

(you basically want to go thru tech support first, and then once you have the established case # saying that you've done all you can, then it's time to push them into getting parts shipped out or a new system. It's how i got them to bring out 2 brand new cpu's and 4 motherboards :< )

OP
M

mtq1000

hardware AOK or so it says

just ran the hardware check everything checks out ok. I am convinced that it is the hardware side too. I was hoping to leave it till the new G5s come out to get a free upgrade lol fools chance of ever getting that. But i will definetly have to push them for some sort of hardware exchange. I love the G5 and mac os its my first mac and for it to be fecking up is not very good but im prepared to see through that. I hope applecare can sort this out fairly soon after i start calling them. 2 cpus and 4 motherboards, man u must have had fun with that lol. Anyway thanks for all your help its now just a matter of waiting for me to get apple to do sumthing about this mess. Thanks:D

OP
B

bluemungous

Hmmm, I'm amazed you've lasted so long! I had a bucket-load of Kernel Panics, my machine was about 40 days old. It took 40 further days to fix it, but since then it's been fine.

What did the Service guys do?
..Replaced one processor
..Replaced the power supply
..Replaced the other processor
..Replaced the logic board

then it worked....

OP
M

mtq1000

applecare and their wisdom

i phoned applecare. The guy got me to reset the PMU and the PRAM and create a new user. They said i was to try it for a few days and keep a log of what crashs the computer. Its done it once in the last hour so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.