G4 won't reboot

Reaction score
I probably did a foolish thing, I was trying to open 2 flash drives at the same time while updating my OS. My processor has been acting busy lately, so I should have know better.
The screen froze, so the only thing I could do was shut down manually. I have tried starting with Option Command P R, Opt. Cmd. O F, nothing seems to work. I had the battery out for over a day, I left it alone for a week. No change.
The computer is a Powerbook G4 with 1.5 ghz processor and Leopard OS. Anybody have any ideas other than giving it over to a Mac tech?
I should add that when I turn on the computer it sounds like the fan or the harddrive is running, and the screen is black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So when u power on do you hear the chime? What happens if you power on and hold down the T key - does it go into Target mode? if so you will see a firewire symbol move round the screen.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, the chime hasn't really been sounding for awhile. Hold down the T key while pressing power, or after? It doesn't seem to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No - power on by pressing button then hold the T key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - try inserting install disk and holding C key to boot off that disk.

OP
M
Reaction score
its a laptop. cant get the disk to load while its like this.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there a way to get a disk to go into the laptop in this situation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it wont take a disk - is there one already in the drive? If so power on and hold down mouse button and it should pop out.

OP
M
Reaction score
The computer doesn't really seem to be doing anything other than running its fan. when I put a disk in, it doesnt pull it in or push it out or anything. And no disk pops out.

Reaction score
im having the same issue. powerbook g4 turn it on and you hear the fan or what sounds like it but i get the chime and as far as the blue screen then it stays there. it starts in safe mode when you hold the shift key at start up but i dont know what that does and you cant go on the internet that way. dont mean to jack your thread but our problems sound similar.

OP
M
Reaction score
This is the second time it has happened. Before I was able to use one of the option command tricks to get it to respond. This time nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a bootable back up copy of your HD. if so connect it by firewire and power on then hold option key and select the Ext HD to boot off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.