G4 tower hard drive removal and transfer contents onto Imac

OP
G
Reaction score
Here's one with everything they would need and even a bit cheaper and with almost a 5 star rating. I'd sure go that route:
AGPTEK USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Converter, Hard Drive Adapter with Power Switch for 2.5"/3.5" SATA/IDE SSD Hard Drive Disks & 5.25" CD/DVD Drives, Support 2TB, Include 12V 2A Power Adapter & USB 3.0 Cable : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Also usable with all later and most current SATA dives, just no enclosure.

Patrick
======
Is that power supply plug a two pin plug? What do you do if your wall mounted socket is a three pin plug?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I wonder if you could order the ide external thing, use it and get your files and then return it to amazon for refund.

I donno I didn’t suggest this. I go now ;)

Reaction score
Isn't the simplest possible thing to try first just to connect (as Target Disc) with Firewire, try starting the G4 while holding down T on any USB keyboard (even the one belonging to the iMac), and just see whether it appears as an external hard drive on the iMac? (I am assuming that the iMac is old enough to have firewire.) Then just drag the files across.

OP
G
Reaction score
Isn't the simplest possible thing to try first just to connect (as Target Disc) with Firewire, try starting the G4 while holding down T on any USB keyboard (even the one belonging to the iMac), and just see whether it appears as an external hard drive on the iMac? (I am assuming that the iMac is old enough to have firewire.) Then just drag the files across.
What's Firewire and Target Disc ?

Reaction score
Firewire (IEEE1394) was, in the G3 to early Intel Mac era, commonly used as a high speed communication link, very frequently to external hard drives. 'Target Disc Mode' is a way of starting up a Mac in a way which makes it behave as nothing more that a Firewire external hard drive. How old is you iMac? And can you identify a port labelled with a little circle and three little marks equally-spaced round the circle?
If so, all you need is a Firewire cable, which many long-standing Mac users will have in a drawer of useful things. You can borrow the keyboard from your iMac while starting the G4 (just press T while starting, holding it for perhaps a minute if there is no monitor, or until a yellow Firewire symbol appears and jumps about on the screen). Go back to the iMac, taking the keyboard with you, start it up, and look on its screen for a new icon (in yellow, I think). Open it and look for and drag out your files.

OP
G
Reaction score
Firewire (IEEE1394) was, in the G3 to early Intel Mac era, commonly used as a high speed communication link, very frequently to external hard drives. 'Target Disc Mode' is a way of starting up a Mac in a way which makes it behave as nothing more that a Firewire external hard drive. How old is you iMac? And can you identify a port labelled with a little circle and three little marks equally-spaced round the circle?
If so, all you need is a Firewire cable, which many long-standing Mac users will have in a drawer of useful things. You can borrow the keyboard from your iMac while starting the G4 (just press T while starting, holding it for perhaps a minute if there is no monitor, or until a yellow Firewire symbol appears and jumps about on the screen). Go back to the iMac, taking the keyboard with you, start it up, and look on its screen for a new icon (in yellow, I think). Open it and look for and drag out your files.
Does the firewire connect with the G4's exterior case at the back or do I have to open it up? There's a big silver start up button on the front of the G4, so I imagine I could use that without having to use a keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does the firewire connect with the G4's exterior case at the back or do I have to open it up?

You will find the Firewire 400 port on the back of the case.

Depending on your model it should look similar to one of these:

The Firewire 400 will look like one of these in the diagram:

Firewire-4-6-9.jpg

cables_9270.jpg

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I have a Dynamode enclosure similar to this (but not exactly the same because mine is older)

(bad link removed)

I've used it when my old Western Digital drive enclosures and my old 2011 iMac died and it's worked fine.
I must admit I did have to buy a couple of slightly different variants - one worked and one didn't - but I'm hopeful that this might be why they appear to have replaced the model I have with this one!?

Reaction score
I know the G3 and G5 machines, and both have the F400 Firewire port (easily seen on the outside), close to the USB and ethernet ports. It, and the plug on the cable, is easily recognised by the slightly pointed shape. The plugs are usually much stiffer to insert than USB and ethernet.

Reaction score
P.S. Once or twice a year I find myself using my 32 year old Mac Classic, and quite often a 2000 G3 iMac. Advanced years do not seem to harm them, and I expect your G4 will start up as well as it did last time you used it. The battery might be flat, but that should not affect it in Target Disc Mode.

krs

Reaction score
What's Firewire and Target Disc ?
I haven't cheked this thread for a few days, but...
Target Disk mode was already suggested at the very beginning of this thread as the simplest option but eliminated early on, in posts 2 etc. because the OP had no power cable for the G4 and was also doubtful that the G4 would even turn on.
The OP probably does not have a FW cable either.
And not having a keyboard or monitor for the G4 possibly as well if a password is required to boot up the G4.
As far as I remember, to get to Target Disk Mode, one needs to start the G4 Mac, and once it starts booting, hold down the T key until you see the Target Disk Mode screen with a bouncing Thunderbolt logo.
Hard to do with no keyboard or monitor - or is there another way?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did note the initial suggestion and rejection of Firewire, but once the posts entered the realm of buying adaptors etc, accompanied by much uncertainty, I thought that procuring a FW cable should be easy by comparison. Someone has already mentioned that practically any computer equipment mains power cable will fit.
Firewire comes on fairly quickly, and T can be pressed from the very start. Holding T for a minute would certainly ensure that FW had started up if it was going to. As I suggested, the keyboard can be his iMac one while starting the G4. I agree that if a password is needed to log on, that would probably stymie things, in the absence of a monitor.

Reaction score
P.S. Hang on! I think that starting in Target Disc Mode does not involve any User activity, and so (if I am right) the password problem is no problem. I would test this myself now if my desk was not covered in circuit boards from a welder I am trying to repair. Only space for my Imac at the moment.

krs

Reaction score
I don't use a password on my desktop sine it stays fixed in a compiter room and maybe the OP doesn't either, but I don't seeif entering the password would not be required if the G4 is set up that way just because one uses target disk mode to access it - that would make implementing a password on the Mac useless since anyone could access the data using another Mac.

I think we need to hear back from G4Mac before discussing this further

Reaction score
I agree with your reservations about the effectiveness of passwords if I am right, but I suppose it could be argued that someone bringing in their own Mac to steal data from yours this way might equally come instead with a screwdriver and steal your HD itself. The machine's password only stops them from using your Mac as a Mac, and so to be really safe the data itself needs protecting with a password via the creating programme (app) in case the HD is stolen (or, if I am right, accessed via Target Disc).
Anyway, as you say, best to wait for more info from the OP, otherwise we might go off a long way on a tangent.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was intrigued by the possibility that an account password might prevent use of target disk mode. So far, I have not found any direct info about the user account password one way or the other. I did find references to the fact that FileVault has to be off for target disk mode to work. How to Boot Your Mac in Target Disk Mode for Easy File Transfers

OP
G
Reaction score
I think it may well be easier (albeit slightly more expensive) to use an adapter. The only thing that bothers me is that in the diagram of said adapter the power supply looks to be using a two pin plug, whereas most homes have a three pin plug. Is there a way around that?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used similar 2 prong adapters in 3 prong outlets with no issue. I'm in the US though so there may be issues I am not aware of. Perhaps someone with experience in your locale will chime in with more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
he only thing that bothers me is that in the diagram of said adapter the power supply looks to be using a two pin plug, whereas most homes have a three pin plug. Is there a way around that?

You are worrying too much, and if the adapter has been approved for use in your country it doesn't matter how many pins that has or doesn't have, it will be safe to use.

And by the way, if it is like most other adapters of the same type or like the one I have and use, if you are using a two and a half-inch Drive you won't even need the power side of the adapter as it will be bus-powered, the extra power is usually only needed to power up three and a half-inch drives that often use more power than the USB bus can supply.

Good luck and just connect the adapter to your Mac and your old Drive and enjoy the files and photos you have been able to retrieve and rescue.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.