G4 tower hard drive removal and transfer contents onto Imac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old G4 tower and would like to remove the hard drive and transfer its contents onto my Imac. How would I do this?

Thank you.

krs

Reaction score
I think you need to provide a bit more information, like
1. macOS the G4 is running
2, Which model of iMac and macOS

If the G4 is still operational you may be able to just transfer the data to the iMac depending on the model and software of the iMac.
Or you could take out the G4 hard drive and install it into an appropriate IDE enclosure and access the data that way.
You should also check which applications you are using on the G4 to make sure those or equivalents are available on the iMac to make sure you can open all the files that you transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How would I do this?

You could try using Target disk mode if your old and new Macs support or just use Mac OS cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the software/data you want to keep to an external backup drive that you should be able to use with the new Mac.

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. G4 has not been used since 2007, but was operational then so no reason (I hope!) why it shouldn't be now. What I want to transfer is some pics and pdfs, but I don't have the monitor that came with the G4, so I presume removing the G4 HD and placing it in a hard drive casing and then plugging it into Imac (as I would with any other external HD) is the way forward. Does that sound about right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Yep - that's it. :) Do you have an IDE enclosure/caddy for the purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 has not been used since 2007, but was operational then so no reason (I hope!) why it shouldn't be now.

The PRAM battery ay be dead and prevent the G4 from booting if it has not been used in all that time.

I presume removing the G4 HD and placing it in a hard drive casing and then plugging it into Imac (as I would with any other external HD) is the way forward.

As mentioned previously you didn't mention any details as to the particular G4 model you are dealing with and depending on the particular bottle you may find it hard to find an enclosure that will accept that type of hard drive. You may be better off just using a USB flash drive to aid with the transfer, as a type of sneakernet if the G4 actually has a USB port available, or maybe you could connect them all via Ethernet and do things via file transfer.

Lots of choices... 😇

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help.
It's a G4 Quicksilver. If I could remove the HD and place it in a drive case – thus allowing it to be used with my Imac as any other external HD.I presume that would work. Does that sound right, or are there problems I need to look out for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could remove the HD and place it in a drive case – thus allowing it to be used with my Imac as any other external HD.

That would not necessarily be the same as "any other external hard drive", and enclosures for those kind of IDE/PATA, the drive from the G4 is old technology and older compatible enclosures are getting harder to get hold of and probably not the cheapest.

You should consider the age of the drive which could be getting close to its end of life as well as the slow speed compared to today's more recent technology drives plus the fact that they are usually generally a lot cheaper.

Those IDE drives could handle about 100 MB/s which is a snail Pace speed compared to more recent SATA drives which are usually in the 6 Gb/s speed range, Quite a difference...

So I would suggest you rethink your strategy and what you are going to use and the amount of money you are going to spend... A new recent external USB drive would probably be your cheapest fastest best choice and you would end up with a brand-new drive at the same time.

Don't skimp trying to utilize old outdated slow equipment, it's not worth it. And life is short enough as it is... 😇

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
I agree with Patrick's comments, however you still need to get the pdf and image files off the old IDE drive.
If you can't boot up the G4 because you don't have a monitor connected to it, you either need an IDE enclosure or just an IDE to USB converter to transfer the data.

OP
G
Reaction score
That would not necessarily be the same as "any other external hard drive", and enclosures for those kind of IDE/PATA, the drive from the G4 is old technology and older compatible enclosures are getting harder to get hold of and probably not the cheapest.

You should consider the age of the drive which could be getting close to its end of life as well as the slow speed compared to today's more recent technology drives plus the fact that they are usually generally a lot cheaper.

Those IDE drives could handle about 100 MB/s which is a snail Pace speed compared to more recent SATA drives which are usually in the 6 Gb/s speed range, Quite a difference...

So I would suggest you rethink your strategy and what you are going to use and the amount of money you are going to spend... A new recent external USB drive would probably be your cheapest fastest best choice and you would end up with a brand-new drive at the same time.

Don't skimp trying to utilize old outdated slow equipment, it's not worth it. And life is short enough as it is... 😇

- Patrick
=======
Thanks.

It's more a case of extracting the images and pdfs off it. I don't have any plan to reuse it after that.

OP
G
Reaction score
I agree with Patrick's comments, however you still need to get the pdf and image files off the old IDE drive.
If you can't boot up the G4 because you don't have a monitor connected to it, you either need an IDE enclosure or just an IDE to USB converter to transfer the data.
Thanks.

I don't have any plans to make use of the HD once the pdfs and mages have been extracted. So, just so I can get this clear – an IDE to USB converter will in essence be recognised as an external HD by my Imac and allow me to extract said pdfs and images by transferring them on to my Imac HD?

krs

Reaction score
Yes.
I have used both, IDE enclosures and IDE to USB converters.
IDE enclosures have an IDE to USB bridge (Converter) inside so the two are electrically identical.
For that to work, the G4 HD of course has to spin up.
Since the HD has not been use since 2007 there is a chance it won't.
But you won't know that until you try it.

I think you could just turn on the G4 (without a monitor) to see if the G4 HD spins up.
You can either hear it or have the case open and touch it.
If it spins up in the G4 you are all set - then hold the G4 power button to turn off the G4 before you take out the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ditto,
I would think in this case the most compatible and easiest to use would be a USB UNIVERSAL DRIVE ADAPTER:

There are or were some IDE USB Dock's available for a while, most designed for used with Windows PCs, butt by experience with them was not the best and they were not always compatible but the price was often a bit cheaper than the IDE/USB adapter.

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes.
IDE enclosures have an IDE to USB bridge (Converter) inside so the two are electrically identical.
For that to work, the G4 HD of course has to spin up.
Since the HD has not been use since 2007 there is a chance it won't.
But you won't know that until you try it.

I think you could just turn on the G4 (without a monitor) to see if the G4 HD spins up.
You can either hear it or have the case open and touch it.
If it spins up in the G4 you are all set - then hold the G4 power button to turn off the G4 before you take out the drive.
Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08W43XVBY/

krs

Reaction score
Didn't realize you were in the UK, maybe add this to your profile

A bridge like the one you linked to should generally work, HOWEVER
for this particular one it's not clear to me if a power supply is included or if you need to buy that separately, you definitely nee one and one reviewer said it doesn't work with a "large" IDE port - I assume they mean a 3.5 inch IDE drive (which is what you have).
Can you return items from amazon.uk at no charge like we can in Canada?
If so and if a power supply is included I would try it - otherwise try to find a bridge like that where someone tried it with a Mac and it works (and it includes the power adapter.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would something like this work?

I doubt it from what it says at the site - "Currently unavailable"

Besides that fact, I'm not sure that it would actually work with the drive from the G4. That adapter says it is for a "SATA/IDE drive" and if I am not mistaken, the hard drives used in G-Force were PATA/IDE drives which were a different connection as well as different technology.
I may be mistaken but I do not think so. Maybe a Drive Guru could clarify the fact if that is so or not.

I can confirm that the adapter as I posted from macsales will work with both types. I have one and have used it several times over the years. Not super-speedy, but worked and certainly more than adequate for retrieving some files for use with your later Mac model.

I need something like one of these that are listed on the same page:
Cablecc IDE/PATA 40Pin Disk to SATA Female Converter Adapter PCBA for Desktop & 3.5" Hard Disk Drive cablecc

High Efficiency Sata/Pata/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for Hard Drive Disk Computer Accessories External Hard Drive Cable to

Multibao SATA IDE to USB Adapter Cable for Hard Disk HDD, USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Converter HDD Cable for 2.5''/3.5'' Hard Drive CD DVD RW Rom : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Yes. It offers a choice of SATA or IDE (PATA) connections. However, you will have to power the HDD from a separate supply.

I don't know why it's showing up as unavailable for @pm-r unless it's because he's viewing it from outside the UK. I'm UK-based, and it's showing as in stock for me.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes. It offers a choice of SATA or IDE (PATA) connections. However, you will have to power the HDD from a separate supply.

I don't know why it's showing up as unavailable for @pm-r unless it's because he's viewing it from outside the UK. I'm UK-based, and it's showing as in stock for me.
Thanks. It will be a one use only item, so don't want to spend loads. How would you find out what type of power supply is required? Hopefully it's the same I use for my external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't blame you for not wanting to go spending money on a dedicated power supply just for this job. What I'd do is put the spinny HDD into your G4 tower (but don't screw it down into a drive bay: just leave it loose in there on the floor of the box, so you've got wiggle room to fit the IDE - USB adapter onto it) and hook it up to one of the 4-pin power plugs from the G4's PSU.

You will be using the G4 purely as a power supply. You won't need a monitor attached to the G4 (though it's possible you might need a keyboard plugged in just to make the machine feel happy?). Plug the adapter into the HDD, plug the USB end into your iMac, hit the power button on the G4, and your drive should spin up, and should show up as a mounted drive on the iMac. From there it should be plain sailing.

EXTRA NOTE: In order for the G4 to operate safely with proper airflow, you will need to close the side door on it, so I'd remove the blanking plate from one of the G4's PCI slots and feed the adapter's USB cable out through there. Depending on how long the USB cable is (device cables are NEVER long enough these days!), you might need to use a USB extension cable.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.