G4 Powerbook sends electricity through me...

Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi

Recently my powerbook G4 has started to send an electric current through my body when it is plugged in to the mains... not enough to give me an electric shock but enough to make the hairs on my hairs tingle!

It's not the power adapter as I've replaced that. Does anyone have any idea what else it might be and more importantly, whether it's worth the cost of getting it fixed.

Thanks
 

pigoo3

Well-known member
Staff member
Admin
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
44,221
Reaction score
1,432
Points
113
Location
U.S.
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi

Recently my powerbook G4 has started to send an electric current through my body when it is plugged in to the mains... not enough to give me an electric shock but enough to make the hairs on my hairs tingle!

It's not the power adapter as I've replaced that. Does anyone have any idea what else it might be and more importantly, whether it's worth the cost of getting it fixed.

Thanks

Does this happen when you run your Powerbook on the battery?

- Nick
 
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
US- Cincinnati
Does this happen when you run your Powerbook on the battery?

- Nick

Exactly, if doesn't do it with just the battery it has to be somewhere with the connection to the wall outlet. This connection could be where it attaches to your computer and may have nothing to do with the power cord itself. Not safe.
 
OP
M
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
It does not do it when you run from the battery (although the battery only has enough life in to to run for about 5 minutes when fully charged).

So are you saying it's the wiring in my house where the problem lies or in the power socket on the laptop?
 

pigoo3

Well-known member
Staff member
Admin
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
44,221
Reaction score
1,432
Points
113
Location
U.S.
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It does not do it when you run from the battery (although the battery only has enough life in to to run for about 5 minutes when fully charged).

So are you saying it's the wiring in my house where the problem lies or in the power socket on the laptop?

First you need to get a new battery.;)

Second...I know nothing about your home's wiring...or the electrical codes in your area/country. Since you used the term, "plugged in to the mains"...you're probably in the UK or at least outside the U.S.

You may live in an older home...with old electrical wiring...thus if your electrical outlets in your home are not properly grounded...then this sort of thing (getting little shocks from the metal of your laptop)...can happen.

If this is the case...you could try going to a friends newer home, new office building, or a local shopping center that probably has much newer wiring...plug in your laptop, and see if you still get these little shocks.

Hope this makes sense & helps,

- Nick
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2010
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
ALWAYS plug the power cord to the wall outlet, then the computer. see if it sparks then.
 

Shop Amazon


Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Top