G4 Powerbook problems

J

jsef

I am having a problem starting up my laptop, running Mac OS X. It occassionally starts with no problem. Also occassionally, it starts up after pushing a few assorted keys. However, most of the time it runs through the loading screen, pictures comes on, shows all the loading processes, the last process it shows is 'Login Window starting'. Then there is no picture and seems to go into a standby mode. If you push a few buttons it will seemingly spin the cd drive and hard drive, still no picture and soon back into sleep mode. I am very new to mac's, but to my understanding this isn't suppose to happen. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Happens to me when my batteries are completely out.

OP
J

jsef

I don't know. It just happens. I loaded it on a external VGA, and it just sits loaded. You cannot do anything.. at least its not going into sleep mode with an external VGA.

OP
C

creat10n

can you boot from a CD?

put a system CD in the drive and hold down the C key. see what happens. if it doesn't load up (probably see a folder icon with a ? in the middle if it's having problems) then you'll probalby want to take it to an apple repair center for warranty work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.