G4 OS X, 9.2.2 Install on Separate Partition

B

bigtrep14

Hello everyone,

I have a G4 Dual 1Ghz power mac. I formatted my hard drive and proceeded with a clean install. My computer came with Jaguar 10.2 and OS 9.2.2 I need to install each OS on a separate partition.

The OS X is the only bootable CD and needs to be installed first. The OS 9.2.2 is a system restore so needs to be done after being booted. The problem is that the installer will not let me choose the other partition for 9.2.2. It says "Must be installed on a drive with Mac OS X on it" Is there a way around this or am I missing a step? I have looked all over Mac Support and googled it to death with nothing.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Trep

OP
B

bigtrep14

Yup yup

Simple fix in the end. Simply copy the system folder (9), applications folder (9), and Documents folder to the other partition. Change the ownership on the originals to you instead of root. This will allow you to delete all folders except system. Simply delete its contents, rename it to something trivial and restart. Upon reboot you can remove the original system folder. Now boot from OS 9.2.2. On the first boot you will not have the top bar (File, Edit, etc). Reboot again and you're good to go.

Trep :bone: :cool: :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.