G4 Machines any good?

Reaction score
I had been thinking of getting a mac Mini nut I have the chance to get hold of a G4 machine that has lain unused for a while. Are these fairly fast machines or do the Intel chips really beat them a lot?

Reaction score
I think the real questions are what do you want to do with it? And how much do you want to spend?
Email, web surfing, basic word processing/spreadsheets, on-line banking, checkbook, entry-level photos, iTunes, then get the G4. Just figure out before hand how much money you need to put into it for ram, hard drive, system software and up-to-date programs. You may find the you are right up to the cost of a new machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i have an ibook g4 14" 1.33 ghz. From what i hear they are very similar to mac mini's (g4) performace wise. Mine is speedy ususally, I only have 512mb of ram installed though, i am planning on upgrading it to 1.25gb ram. After i do upgrade i will tell you what the difference is performance wise. Otherwise my unit doesn't really slow down unless i am downloading large files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
At work I use a G4 mini with 1.33ghz, 1-gig of ram and the sucker halls. I have a macbook at home with 2ghz and most of the time I can't tell the difference. So yeah, if it's just for basic computer stuff, snatch it up. It will be worth it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The G4 Mini is plenty fast for most basic computer usage. Mine is plenty fast for all the basics. The Intel minis are faster of course, but for basic everyday computer usage the G4 mini is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
you probably could do some intensive things on it but it wouldn't be as fast as an imac g4 or g5. i do photo editing, web browsing, and some light gaming on my ibook and it does fine. Mac mini's lack the needed storage and slightly higher end parts that make high end tasks a breeze, it will do fine with all else though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.