G4 Hard Drive Problems

K

kplaetinck

Please Help, I'm a mac newbie, and I think my computer is dead.

Last night I was downloading my software updates on my Single Processor G4 Quicksilver (933mhz). Near the end of the instalation on the final update the computer slowed down. After 25 minutes it finally started to pick up speed and finish the install. After that was done, my system crashed a few times. Then a few hours after that the machine started to slow down while running applications. When it did this it would take 5-6 minutes to do a simple mouse move from one end of the screen to the other.

I was forced to turn off the machine without a proper shutdown. When it started back up, it ended up on the apple logo symbol with the spinning little circular bars underneath it for 26 minutes. It then started to make a clicking noice. In fact it was three quick clicks in a row followed by a hard drive searching sound. It did this the entire time the machine tried to boot up to the desktop. It did finally get there, ony to have me turn it off a few minutes later due to speed the computer was running at.

Please help, I'm afraid I can't find my install cd's and I don't want to borrow someone elses to re-boot the computer. Is there anyway to save the drive?
Or is it shot. Please help!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Ooooo.....

That's the same exact problem I had! Like, exactly! Except with my PowerBook.
Take it to Apple, they will back up your data and install a new hard drive. ****, I think they even transport everything on the hard drive to the new drive.

OP
K

kplaetinck

Can't

I can't take it to apple without it costing me a fortune, my warranty is long overdue. Any other suggestions.

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I had similar problem on my eMac. could be hard drive or damaged OS related. here is what I did:
1. get an external HD with os X on it.
2. restart and use external drive (iPod can work as well if you hav OS on it) as startup disk.
3. if it works and mac behaves as normal, then its a harddrive problem.
4. back up all your data on extenal HD.
5. reformat the disk with disk utility.
6. verify and repare the hard dirve.
7. reinstall os and apps.

its good if you run apple hardware test CD before you do all that. just to check that everything else is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.