G4 Cube CPU Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I would like to upgrade my G4 cube's single 450MHz CPU for little or no money I have several powermacs including one 500MHz and a dual 450MHz G4 sawtooth would any powermac G4 Cpu transfer to the cube?

Thanks,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to upgrade my G4 cube's single 450MHz CPU for little or no money I have several powermacs including one 500MHz and a dual 450MHz G4 sawtooth would any powermac G4 Cpu transfer to the cube?

Thanks,

Nope can't do it. Mac Cube's did have cpu upgrades...but they're on a special Mac Cube "daughter card":

G4 Processor upgrades for all Apple G4 Cube Models

Because of the shape of the Mac Cube (and the way everything is "packed" in there)...everything for the Mac Cube is special (not compatible with other Mac computers).

And if you're looking to do this upgrade for little or no money...forgetaboutit...upgrading old Mac's (and many newer Mac's)...is almost never cheap!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
As the owner of a heavily upgraded PowerMac G4, I have to say that while it's a fun project, it's nowhere near worth the cost. After it was all said and done, I could have bought a used Intel Mac Mini for the price of all the upgrades and would have had a more powerful system as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.