G4 400mhz Crisis

R

richiestang78

On my old Powermac G4 running OS 9 I have a serious problem. The computer will not startup from harddisk or Cd. From harddisk the computer starts up and all I get is a flashing folder icon with a ? mark. With CD I get to the main desktop and the only things that load is the timeclock and the CD icon and it seems to freeze. I tried disabling extentions but nothing, has my mac finally died?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's possible. Try resetting the pram, usually a small button near the RAM slots inside -- take care to discharge any static, and touch the metal chassis inside to make sure of that

OP
P

pcjabber

The Folder icon with a ? thru it means it cannot find a system folder on your hard drive. Your hard drive has either:
A) crashed
B) lost the System Folder (probably by deletion)
But, you can try to zap PRAM. Either there is a button near the RAM slots, OR you can press and hold Option-Command-P-R as you are booting up. Do this 2-3 times, until you hear the startup chimes a few times (press and hold till chime 1st time, then press-release, press-release them the 2nd/3rd)..

PCjabber

OP
C

CypherStrength

Id say your HD finally crashed or you deleted your system folder. I had the same problem in my cube and the HD i had in there wasnt apple approved. Swapped the original 20 in there in worked fine.

CypherStrength

OP
C

Chamorro

I'm guessing it's the HD, since booting w/ a CD does not allow you to access the HD either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.