G3 whines

Reaction score
My friend has an iMac G3 with a really terrible high-pitched whine. My first guess would be that it's a monitor issue. How can I fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't guess, have him shut the monitor and see if the whining goes away. If it turns out that it is the monitor it's possible it could be caused by the backlight or the inverter. My Samsung SyncMaster has a slight high pitched whine to it when it's turned on as do many other LCDs. That's normal.

Regards.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
The iMac G3 series have built-in CRT monitors. I've experienced whine problems with CRT monitors before and I know it's possible to eliminate or reduce the problem by using a lower refresh rate, but the Mac OS X display settings seem to have a single refresh rate per resolution and I don't think it goes low enough to be of any use. Last time I checked, it was set at 800×600 @ 95 Hz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sounds like it's clogged with dust to me, which is impairing the fans.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It could be the fan, the Hard Drive for two things. I have had some Hard Drives that put out a quite loud whine. Some worked for years, some were dying.

Is this Whine REALLY high in pitch? It could be from the Flyback Transformer (Horizontal Output Transformer). The really old Tray Load iMacs had a lot of Flybacks burn out over time due to heat. My 333Mhz Grape iMac blew out the flyback. Mine did not while but would spit every few minutes causing a flash on the screen till on day it shorted all the way out with a lot of noise. I yanked the plug and installed a new Flyback transformer and it's like new again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The tray load Imac has a fan, the slot load does not.

Yep, true that. I mentioned the Fan as a possibility. I think it's one of the other two things though.

Reaction score
How did you fix the flyback issue and what was the cost ? I fixed an old tray-load imac and within a few months the flyback went and I offered a refund or G3 tower as a replacement. They went with the tower and have been happy since. I have the tray-load in the basement, would be nice to get it running again.

kahlil88 hopefully it's not the flyback !

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are good with Electronics and soldering/Desoldering on PC Boards, you find the part number on your old flyback and search for a new one. It's been 3 years now I think but I found a seller on Ebay I believe with flyback for the older Tray Loaders and bought it from him for $25 or so brand new. It took me maybe an hour to take it apart, solder suck out the old Flyback and put in the new one. If you give me the exact specs of the iMac G3 I might be able to find one for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that was one of the first iMacs not to have the fan. That is a Slot Loader.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.