G3 iMac Questions?

Reaction score
I recently received a old G3 for a fellow on craigslist. I being a user of Apple computers for a year. Was quite surprised when I turned it on and seen the OS 9.2. My current Apple computer is a Macbook running Tiger. Anyways, I was wondering what would be the best way to upgrade the OS. Should I get the newest 9.x I can find? Or will this iMac run Panther? Where would I find an old OS like this? Can I download it somewhere? Can I buy it somewhere? Do you have a copy you could share?

I tried for about an hour to hook it up to my Belkin router to no avail. If any of you veterans out their can help a noob like me I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Panther should work. Tiger would work if you have enough RAM and a FireWire port. No joke, Tiger requires the Mac to have a FW port.
Sharing OS X copies is still in violation of the EULA. I know OS 7 is free but I don't know if anything newer is yet.

Best way to upgrade the OS? Find a way to get 9.2.2 so you can download the firmware update so you can install your flavor of OS X. The iMac requires the firmware update. Try eBay for a copy of OS X. I've picked up a copy of OS9 on eBay for $2 and Panther here on MF for shipping costs.

Honestly though, that's not really a computer you will want to put a lot of money or effort into. Unless it's maybe the 700MHz version or one of those cool Flower Power or other weird design ones.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on the Apple in OS 9.2 and look for System Profiler. Click that and see what speed the CPU is and how much RAM and Hard Drive.

OP
MadGasser
Reaction score
I don't plan on putting much money into it. If I can get it running half way decent I want to give it to my nephew. If I can't to the recycler it will go.

CPU is 400MHZ, 512 MB RAM and 10 GB HDD.

Like I said guys if I can get it running decent I will give it to my nephew. If not I will get rid of it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it online. I configured the TCP/IP manually and still nothing. The system profiler says the Ethernet Link: Down what does that mean?

OP
MadGasser
Reaction score
What is the fastest CPU I can put in this Mac? And how much RAM will it hold? Thinking about making it a media server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You would have to replace the whole board not just the CPU. Doing that isn't worth that. Max 1GB RAM.

If you want my 600MHz iMac, it's yours for $70 with a retail copy of Panther. I am in Chicago if you're around.

OP
MadGasser
Reaction score
I would buy it. If I can get time off work I will let you know. Might be able to take the train up. Don't know what kind of carry on policy they have. I will have to find out.

Reaction score
I take it this is a slot load Imac G3. You have to upgrade the firmware on a Imac G3 before you put 10 on it. The unix code will burn up the video chip. The machine will not stop you from loading Ten,so check for firmware updates first. The boot rom needs to be 4.19fi .
It should network to a hud with no problem. 9.2 uses Apple talk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 333mhz Rev. D 190mb Ram 10.2.8 Bondi Blue
I have an old 333mhz G3(tray loader) with 192mb ram. It runs 10.2.8 fine. But make sure you update the boot rom before you step up to 10 :) . I bought mine for £20($40) I got the puck and pro keyboard too I probably payed to much as it only had 64mb ram and a 6gb hdd when i bought it. Has 80 now. I bought it to learn os x I find them great machines to learn on :) .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.