G3 CD-RW "connection not stable"

J

jg::

Hi!

I replaced the CD-ROM on my beige G3-266 with an IBM-brand CDRW (ID = CD-RW52XMAX), and it's been working fine for a year now, happily burning and reading both audio and data CDs, using Toast 5.0. Until today.

Now, suddenly, I'm repeatedly getting a message: "Interface error -9356
The connection is not stable". This occurs after the cache is filled and burning starts for a few seconds, then error message and freeze. A coaster is created.

I tried disabling the Iomega Zip extension that I found was still active (even though Zip was removed several years ago), but no difference - coasters continue.

Nothing has changed on the machine - it's been stable for years, which is why I still use it :)

Any suggestions, or suggestions about where I might find help?

Thanks,

OP
B

Badger

I began to get that message after a memory chip went bad. This was on an iMac 333 with an MCE CD-RW internal burner with Toast 5. Once the chip was replaced everything returned to normal.
Badger

OP
J

Badger said:
I began to get that message after a memory chip went bad. This was on an iMac 333 with an MCE CD-RW internal burner with Toast 5. Once the chip was replaced everything returned to normal.
Badger

Thanks, Badger, I appreciate the response.

If a memory chip was bad, then I'd also expect to see other problems creeping in, such as, not being able to load multiple memory-hungry applications all at once.

Any other way to check if my RAM is still healthy?

OP
B

Badger

For me, the problem burning CDs was the first sign of a problem. It was intermitent, about 1 of 3 burns, and did not show on either the mac memory check or with the Techtool hardware checks. Eventually other problems surfaced and as a last resort I pulled the 256mb memory chips and reinstalled the old 96mg configuration. The problems stopped. After some more swapping to confirm it, I replaced the 256mg chips with new ones and all has been well. In any case good luck.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.