G3 BW 350 won't boot help needed !!!

E

eli68

I just bought a G3 BW which was working fine except for the date and time was always reset upon startup, anyway I changed the standard apple cdrom with a burner and then when trying to start it would make the normal boot beep and I can hear the hd spin up but nothing comes on the screen except to say no signal, I put the original cdrom back in and it's still the same, I have tried reseting via the switch on the motherboard to reset everything and also removed the battery for 10mins and it still does the same thing, could it be the battery as if it is the battery was flat will it do this ?? any help would be great.

Regards...

OP
B

Badger

The date/time reset is a sign the battery needs replacement. Besides little problems a low battery will cause startup problems or other performance issues. Under normal use you can expect a battery to last about 3 to 5 years so your BW model is due for a replacement.
Badger

OP
E

eli68

I took the battery back out and left it out overnight when I put it back in this morning and tried again it does the same thing but after the first tone it gives a 3 beep tone does anyone know what the 3 beeps mean ?

Badger said:
The date/time reset is a sign the battery needs replacement. Besides little problems a low battery will cause startup problems or other performance issues. Under normal use you can expect a battery to last about 3 to 5 years so your BW model is due for a replacement.
Badger

OP
E

eli68

I just got a new battery and still hasn't fixed the problem :( I can't think what else to do

eli68 said:
I took the battery back out and left it out overnight when I put it back in this morning and tried again it does the same thing but after the first tone it gives a 3 beep tone does anyone know what the 3 beeps mean ?

OP
S

Shakermaker

Do you hear the start-up chime, then 3 beeps, or is there no start-up chime?

OP
E

eli68

I hear the starup chime 1st then the 3 beeps, but it only does the 3 beeps if I remove the battery and leave it out for say 10mins then put it back in and turn it on. normally it does the chime and I can hear the hd spin up but there is still no video signal on the screen.

Shakermaker said:
Do you hear the start-up chime, then 3 beeps, or is there no start-up chime?

OP
B

Badger

Usually you would hear the warning beeps instead of the startup tone but sometimes they will follow the tone.
The 3 beeps indicate that the RAM is bad (1 beep=no RAM, 2 beeps=incompatible RAM, 3 beeps = bad RAM). It can mean the RAM has failed or that it is not fully seated. Try reseating the chip(s).

OP
E

eli68

Tried and still no luck, it only does the 3 beeps if I have the battery out for say 10mins and reset the cuda all other times it does the normal chime and i can hear the hd spin up but just sits and says no signal on the monitor, have tested the monitor and it is fine.

Badger said:
Usually you would hear the warning beeps instead of the startup tone but sometimes they will follow the tone.
The 3 beeps indicate that the RAM is bad (1 beep=no RAM, 2 beeps=incompatible RAM, 3 beeps = bad RAM). It can mean the RAM has failed or that it is not fully seated. Try reseating the chip(s).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.