future machines?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am very very nearly a switcher - well I am mentally already - just not bought the machine yet. This is because I am going travelling for a year in September.
As I will be back-packing I do not want to have to worry about the safety of my new MB/MBP every day - so do you think it makes sense to hang on till I get back and purchase a new imac? It will be Sept 08 when I return from my travels - do you think there will be upgraded machines lower in price??
added bonus will be Leopard by then.

It is killing me knowing I have to wait!! but cant have an imac sitting switched off for a year!!!!

man this is tough!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The price won't be lower, but there will probably be a different iMac by then and updated Mini internally. The iMac casing might be a bit different, but I don't forsee anything too radical. Internally they'll be better processors and maybe a better graphics card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
In a year? Ya there will definitely be upgrades. As to what/how much its impossible to say. It does seem rather unlikely that there will be lower prices, but hey you never know.
If your going away for a year, I wouldnt buy one now. Doesnt make much sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
well there will definitely be upgrades, causing the older models to drop in price. so you could choose from a year-old model and save a few hundred $, or get one of the new upgraded ones. The upgrades could range from just a processor/ram/hd bump, to a new type of processor to a whole new design.

OP
stoldie
Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys... I guess I know it doesn't make sense to get one now - it would be a crime to have one sitting doing nothing for a year!!

Anyone any experience with Internet Cafes - in that do any of them you hae come across offer macs for use? maybe to give me a taster along the way??

Great forum by the way, those stickies are brilliant too!

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I don't think it makes much sense to spend all that money on a computer to just leave it sitting at home for a year. The prices may not go down, but the machines will definitely be upgraded, and in a year's time you'd be able to get a better machine for the same money. Or...the current ones will depreciate so they'll be cheaper.

I'd definitely wait until you got back if I were you.

-Nick

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you buy it now your basic warranty will have expired by the time you get back. Just wait until you get back. You will be able to get the latest system able and not kick your self for not waiting.

OP
stoldie
Reaction score
Yeah... I know this is the most sensible option - but it is very hard knowing that I cannot start experiencing the Mac for that length of time! yikes. Oh well good things come to those who wait I guess! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
by september 08 Apple will be well into their 'greener materials' program. not only will you get greatly improved performance. but this:

Apple is removing all the toxic materials from their products. By 2012, they hope to be the leader in low toxicity levels. They are going to backlight their screens with LEDs, remove lead and a mass of other things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.