• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Fuel Prices!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just thought I would post this....

On the way to do some shopping I noticed that our local QuikTrip Gasoline Station had posted the price for Regular Fuel at $1.49 per gallon. I haven't seen prices that low in at least 15 years.

Gas Guzzlers delight! Diesel fuel prices are also at an all time low. Great for those long haulers.

Charlie

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Pure supply and demand it looks like. I haven't driven more than 50 miles in the past 2 weeks and still have a lot of gas left in the tank. Another 50 cents drop and it will take us back to 90's pricing. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I were a member of the tin foil hat brigade I'd point out that this is a fine time for the price to go down. Gas cheaper than its been in almost two decades and no one can go anywhere.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
$1.39 here in my neck of the world. It won’t last...sigh...

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If I were a member of the tin foil hat brigade I'd point out that this is a fine time for the price to go down. Gas cheaper than its been in almost two decades and no one can go anywhere.:)

+1!!! :app

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not supply and demand as much as it is the price of crude is close to $20/bbl. March 31, a bbl was $20.61. That's down $41 this year. Could be under $20 if things don't turn around. Demand is definitely down, given all the sheltering-in-place going on, but the price of crude is really a big driver.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Here in the UK, it has dropped to just under £5 per gallon.

I've seen a few stations selling it at £4.70.

Petrol is priced per litre. The above is a conversion.

Ian

Reaction score

I wouldn't say that. Now is a marvelous time for motorcyclists such as myself to go out for a nice leisurely socially distanced ride. We do have to make sure to use a plastic bag over our hands to touch the gas pump, though.

If our government is smart (not at all a given), they will be doing things like filling our strategic reserve of oil to the brim during this period, so that oil prices don't jump up too much when this is over.

This would also be a brilliant time for the government to repair all of the roads and bridges. Lots of folks need the work, the work can be done maintaining social distancing, and there isn't a lot of traffic on the roads to cause backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
$1.39 here in my neck of the world.
Same price here yesterday, at two locations known for being low price leaders. They battle it out at the same intersection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If our government is smart (not at all a given), they will be doing things like filling our strategic reserve of oil to the brim during this period, so that oil prices don't jump up too much when this is over.

Apparently, that is what they have been doing and one of the reasons the price is still going down, they have almost run out of storage room and the sale of gas at the pumps is well below normal that's compounding the problem.

If a lot of people start traveling more and filling up, the price per gallon will tend to rise.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
:rofl :rofl :rofl It's about that now per litre in the UK!! (One US gallon = 3.7 litres)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why is fuel priced so high in Canada? I always thought Canadian fuel prices were on par with that of the US. Perhaps more local taxes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why is fuel priced so high in Canada? I always thought Canadian fuel prices were on par with that of the US. Perhaps more local taxes?

Taxes, under various assumed names, are one of the main reasons for the higher price as well as high refining costs. And distribution and transportation costs can help add to the premium price.
But neither is it diluted with cheaper ethanol as a lot of the US gasoline is. Even in a lot of Marine gas which is completely illegal in Canada due to the fact of how it can attack rubber gas lines etc. and becomes a real safety issue.

Some examples here:
If Canada has so much oil, why is our gasoline so expensive?
If Canada has so much oil, why is our gasoline so expensive? | National Post

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Here in Melbourne Australia the price of unleaded is AU $1.18 or US $0.71 per litre on our current exchange rate, so not exactly cheap just yet but the trend is downwards and we are always slow to reflect international oil prices. Nowhere to go anyway and currently on day 10 of 14 days mandatory self isolation so can't go out at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.