frustrated because of led screen flicker

Reaction score
i have a macbook unibody(not pro).

2.4ghz /4gb ddr3/9400m and ocz vertex 60gb ssd.
everthing is great about this machine exepct one : screen flicker.

sometimes i notice a small weird flicker, specially on grey colors like the
dock or safari bars(also seen in pictures ).
At start you cant notice this flicker but after a while you wil get eyestrain .
This flicker come and goes often,and it is very disturbing.
I put my macbook to apple to check and they replace the logic board twice,and it didnt help, so they gave me a new macbook which again has the same problem.

I also think there is a flicker on my external samsung t220 lcd, so maybe its not the led screen fault.

plz plz plz help me with this issue... the computer came with 2gb hynix memory, and i upgrade to 4gb with samsung chips. maybe its a memory problem?(nothing ever crashed).

thx :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
since you've had it replaced and the problem persists, I'm thinking it might be the ambient light sensor which adjusts the screen dimness which can look like a subtle flicker

worth a shot, look into system preferences/displays if you have it turned on (little check box at the bottom of the displays panel)

OP
S
Reaction score
the first thing i did is to shut down the ambient light sensor.
its not that.

is it possible that some of the 9400m/13in led screens are defective? and apple doesnt (want to) know?

i also heard about this problem on the new whitebooks....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're getting screen flicker not only on your MacBook display but also on an external display, it might have something to do with your AC power mains not the machine. Do you get the same flicker when operating the MacBook on battery power only?

The other thing that could cause the flicker and would effect the external monitor is the graphic chip in the MacBook. However, you stated that they changed out the logic board twice and then gave you a new machine with the same result.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
im getting the flicker even when the macbook is running on battery only.
I also think it is the graphic chip,but they replace the logic board twice, and in
third time they gave me a whole new macbook....so???.... thats weird.
maybe its a worldwide problem but only some people get attention to it?
you need to have sensetive eyes to see this flicker

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what to tell you... ? Unless you had a bad run of MacBooks, it remains a mystery as to why you're experiencing screen flickering.

Sometimes using an LCD screen under fluorescent lighting can produce strange results. That kind of lighting actually pulses with the AC main power (60 Hz in the US and 50 Hz throughout most places in the world) and sometimes gives an appearance of flicker. That condition was predominant with the older CRT tubes used in monitors and TVs. It rarely occurs with an LCD screen but I guess it's possible.

Regards.

Reaction score
Didn't Apple just release a firmware update to reduce the LCD flicker problem?
Supposed to also help with a yellow tint on screens.
Google: Apple LCD Screen Flicker

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was for the new 27" iMac not the MacBook which he has.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.