Frustrated as Heck with Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I am sorry to rant here, but I am so angry and frustrated with Apple, I’m about ready to throw the computer into the swimming pool. Have been a Mac user since 2007. I’m not an expert but am able to get along. Not a gamer, don’t use it work related, just mail, music, photo’s, internet. Basic stuff. This started a couple of weeks ago when I simply wanted to sync my iphone and iPad with iTunes (was running Mojave) Before we go vacation. I’ve done this before so nothing really knew. The sync screwed up my music files big time. I’ve spent hours talking to Apple Support, which is one of the good things that Apple does. Bumped up numerous times to Senior Advisors but no one could figure it out. Their advise was to completely erase the computer, install Monterey, login with my Apple ID. Time Machine restore didn‘t work so they suggested I copy and paste the backup items using 2 Finder screens.

Wrong. Everything is now FUBAR. Playlists-gone. Photo albums-gone. Don’t tell me about copyright issues because albums and CDs that I own are missing. I don’t understand what Apple is trying to accomplish. Used to be a friendly, easy to use, intuitive OS.

So I’m going to erase the computer again. Reinstall Mojave and try to restore with Time Machine from an earlier day. If it doesn’t work, I’m chucking Apple and going back to Microsoft. 🤬

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Sorry for your trouble, re-install is NOT the answer any case other than the one or two situations where it's warranted. It is NEVER the solution to do the erase only to install a newer version of the OS. That's not a re-install.

You should indeed return to Mojave and restore your Time Machine backup and verify everything is back. Then we can help you figure out what's going on with the sync'ing. If that is all working, then you can explore upgrading to Monterrey and creating another Time Machine backup so that you have the latest OS and backup of it and things are working like you expect them to.

With the iPhone's getting more independent of iTunes, the sync'ing between them is definitely gotten more hokey over time. Streaming makes this a lot easier, but obviously if you have a lot of music you own, that's a different story.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your understanding. I appreciate this forum as everyone is always helpful.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
everyone is always helpful.
We've got to be - we've all had some disaster, frustration, sometimes utter despair. Then something good happens. Somebody suggests this or that. Links appear. Sympathy all round.

I don't want to muddy the waters with half-hearted suggestions; but

(a) I go along entirely with Aswan's' suggestions. I'm assuming he means going into Recovery Mode and re-downloading Mojave? That OS should still be available.

(b) Then we can try to put back things as they were using Time Machine from a date prior to your catastrophe.

(c) regards backing up iDevices - at least for the moment - you can use iCloud Backup (Settings > Your name > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn ON iCloud Backup > Back Up Now)

I've deliberately given you the Settings sequence because if you're anything like me, your distress will appear to disable your memory for things you did automatically before ;) (y).

@ashwin, do you go along with that?

Ian

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SUCCESS! Took a couple of attempts but finally able restore my computer. iTunes, Photos, Apps and everything else. Wasn’t working when asked if I wanted to install from TM for some reason, but when rebooted using Command+R and then restoring from TM using and older date, it worked. I’m happy and so is my swimming pool 😇.

Thanks for all your help guys.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a) I go along entirely with Aswan's' suggestions. I'm assuming he means going into Recovery Mode and re-downloading Mojave? That OS should still be available.
Yes. Actually didn’t reinstall Mojave manually. When erasing the computer completely and booting up as a new computer, it installed El Capitan (original OS). Restoring from TM put Mojave back in apparently.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let me backup (no pun intended) a bit. iwas able to completely restore the iMac, which I'm ecstatic about. However, I still can't sync iTunes to my iPhone or iPad. Doing some research, I find that because the two devices have been upgraded to the latest software versions, the aren't able to work with Mojave. I need to downgrade these two devices back to version 13 from version 15. I did backup my phone to the cloud, but if I completely erase it, won't a restore simply put version 15.4.1 back on? Any suggestions?

Incidentally, when I plug in the USB chord to the devices, they show on iTunes but not in Finder. Part of the compatibility issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well let me backup (no pun intended) a bit. iwas able to completely restore the iMac, which I'm ecstatic about. However, I still can't sync iTunes to my iPhone or iPad. Doing some research, I find that because the two devices have been upgraded to the latest software versions, the aren't able to work with Mojave. I need to downgrade these two devices back to version 13 from version 15. I did backup my phone to the cloud, but if I completely erase it, won't a restore simply put version 15.4.1 back on? Any suggestions?

Incidentally, when I plug in the USB chord to the devices, they show on iTunes but not in Finder. Part of the compatibility issue!
I don't think you can go back. Apple isn't signing (approving) those older versions any more. The backup to the cloud only contains YOUR stuff, not the iOS components, or the installers. You might see if iMazing will allow them to sync manually for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Going back to a previous IOS version is likely to be problematic at best. To have the devices show/sync in Finder needs Catalina or higher IIRC. From the Finder, you could then sync everything you were syncing with iTunes.

As I see it the easiest pathways forward would be to either:
1. Update the OS on your Mac to at least Catalina if your Mac and other critical software support that.
2. Use iMazing to sync your content.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going back to a previous IOS version is likely to be problematic at best. To have the devices show/sync in Finder needs Catalina or higher IIRC. From the Finder, you could then sync everything you were syncing with iTunes.

As I see it the easiest pathways forward would be to either:
1. Update the OS on your Mac to at least Catalina if your Mac and other critical software support that.
2. Use iMazing to sync your content.
I understand, but upgrading to Monterrey has caused so many issues, I can't begin to describe them all. I have spent literally 20+ hours with Apple support and they couldn't figure it out. As you can see from my posts, I eventually had to wipe the computer clean and treat it like I just brought it home from the store. I was able to then restore from TM. Problem now is that I installed the latest updates both the phone and iPad based on Apple's alerts, which I find can't deal with Mojave. iTunes will not sync.

With all due respect Slydude, I have no intention to upgrading my computer. What I need to do is have both devices go backward so they will work with Mojave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I need to do is have both devices go backward so they will work with Mojave.
To put it simply, you cannot. Even if you had the installers, they would check with Apple to have them verified, and Apple's systems will NOT do that. So, if you won't upgrade the Mac, the only option is going to be seeing if iMazing can sync for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With all due respect Slydude, I have no intention to upgrading my computer. What I need to do is have both devices go backward so they will work with Mojave.
Given your experiences, I fully understand your reluctance to upgrade to a different macOS version right now. Although most users don't have nearly this many issues, things can get frustrating very quickly when they happen.

Here's a description of the process for downgrading the IOS version on your devices/ It's a multi-step process. I have never done it personally so I can't guarantee it won't create other issues. How to Go Back to a Previous Version of iOS on an iPhone

TBH the simplest path forward seems to be to try iMazing. The program is not free, but there is a demo period that could be used for you to make sure that it works well for you. It's fully functional but limits the number of photos, call histories, messages, etc. that can be transferred during the demo. iMazing | iPhone, iPad & iPod Manager for Mac & PC

I have no connection with the company other than being a satisfied customer

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To put it simply, you cannot. Even if you had the installers, they would check with Apple to have them verified, and Apple's systems will NOT do that. So, if you won't upgrade the Mac, the only option is going to be seeing if iMazing can sync for you.
I had forgotten I had iMazing at one time. Reinstalled it. However, when I try to move a song from iTunes to iMazing, an alert pops up that says "iCloud Music Library Warning. This feature is not available because iCloud Music Library is enabled."
I've unchecked anything I can find in iCloud, iTunes, Systems Preferences etc. What now?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using an Apple Music subscription? I think I have seen that error since I started using Apple Music's subscription features, but I can't find an exact reference at the moment.

Here's what I think is happening. Normally in an Apple Music subscription, Apple Music keeps things in sync on your devices. If you want to sync your music manually, I think you can log out of Apple Music and then sync things.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had AppleMusic at one time but cancelled it some time ago. Of course, the songs I retrieved from that disappeared. When I plug the iPhone or iPad into the computer with a USB cable. They appear in iTunes but not in Finder. There is a discrepancy between looking at what music is on the device vs what iTunes is showing.
That confirms to me what research I found that stated there is an issue between Mojave and the latest software updates on the two devices. That’s why I need to get the previous software version that works with Mojave. I was able to downgrade to Mojave (with a GREAT deal of effort). Don’t understand why I can’t download a previous version on the devices.

I’m not trying to solve world peace or solve the climate issues. I simply want to listen to MY songs on MY iPhone that are on MY computer when I’m flying over the Atlantic Ocean. What is so difficult about Apple understanding that?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@exncite

Along with everybody else, I acknowledge and sympathise with your frustration.

I explained in post #4 how to backup any iDevice to iCloud. I’m not sure if that’s what you want or if you’ve tried it?

The problem is, of course, that you still have iTunes rather than its successor, Music app.

And again, without a hint of offence, there is a significant difference between backing up and syncing. Backing up means copying your data to another source such as your Mac (not possible in your case as you know); or to iCloud. Backing up means you can retrieve that data.

Syncing is a means of sharing your data with some or all of your Mac devices.

The distinction is important. iMazing, which I use and others have suggested, is a backup, not a sync. That’s important to appreciate. Your iPhone(s) are bang up to date and I plead with you to keep them as such. They or it, will backup to iMazing no problem. You will then have 2 backup strategies - iCloud and iMazing.

I think I can explain your comment in post #13 about “moving” a song to iMazing. It’s not really how it works because the idea is to backup everything to iMazing. Moving this or that is likely to cause problems as you found.

There’s more to this but my senior colleagues have tried very hard to find ways of dealing with the other issues, particularly syncing.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have many choices. From the link Sly gave you, the first step says this:

Check your current iOS version. You can see what version of iOS you're currently running by opening the Settings app, selecting General, and then tapping About. Knowing your current version can help you find the appropriate version to downgrade to.
  • You can downgrade iOS to any version that Apple continues to sign. Apple typically stops signing previous versions about two weeks after a new release, so your downgrade option will be limited to the previous version only.[1]
  • If you jailbreak your iPhone, you may be able to install an older unsigned version of iOS. However, since these versions are not signed by Apple, this is not recommended.
So, as I see it, you have three options:

1. Live with it as it is.
2. Jailbreak your phone and install an illicit version, unsigned by Apple.
3. Upgrade the Mac.

All three are not good, but that's about it.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I forgot to mention. While I no longer subscribe to Apple Music, I do subscribe to iTunes Match. A Senior Advisor at Apple suggested it some time ago. Not sure how to use it
You don't have many choices. From the link Sly gave you, the first step says this:

So, as I see it, you have three options:

1. Live with it as it is.
2. Jailbreak your phone and install an illicit version, unsigned by Apple.
3. Upgrade the Mac.

All three are not good, but that's about it.
Option 1. You can't really be serious.
Option 2. How do I do that?
Option 3. Been there/done that. Was worse than Option 1. Even Apple Support couldn't figure out the problems it created.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is some info I found on iTunes Match. Shouldn't that be the simple way to "sync" the phone?

Adding Music to iTunes Match​

You can add up to 100,000 songs to your iCloud Music Library via iTunes Match, and your music goes to iTunes Match in three ways:

• The music you purchased from the iTunes Store is automatically part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • iTunes Match scans your iTunes library to catalog the songs in it. Apple's software then adds music you have on your hard drive library that's also available on iTunes to your account. It doesn't matter where that music came from—if you bought it from Amazon, ripped it from CD, or acquired it from another source. As long as it's in your library and available in the iTunes Store, it'll be part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • Apple uploads music in your iTunes library that isn't available in the iTunes Store from your computer to your iCloud Music Library. But it only does this with files in the AAC and MP3 formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I forgot to mention. While I no longer subscribe to Apple Music, I do subscribe to iTunes Match. A Senior Advisor at Apple suggested it some time ago. Not sure how to use it

Option 1. You can't really be serious.
Option 2. How do I do that?
Option 3. Been there/done that. Was worse than Option 1. Even Apple Support couldn't figure out the problems it created.
1. I was serious. That is always an option. Not a good one, but it is an option, nevertheless.
2. Don't know how to jailbreak, not sure if it can be done and I would really counsel against it.
3. I know you feel the problems were beyond what you want to do, but to be realistic, if you want to sync, this is the way you have to go.

If you look at the first step of the link to jailbreak the phone, note that even the jailbreakers can't go backwards unless Apple is signing the version. Jailbreaking is risky, the results can be temporary and the possibility exists that you can brick the phone entirely.

You want to sync. To do that you have to move to a more current version of the OS that supports the version iOS on the phones. It's really that simple, even if it is unattractive to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.