Frustrated as Heck with Apple

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I know you are understandably averse to upgrading the OS on your Mac, but can you give us an idea what problems arose when you tried the upgrade. I can't help but feel that these issues could be resolved much easier than jailbreaking the phone or attempting to revert to an earlier version of IOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Use an empty external drive and upgrade the os from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's what occurred to me Bob. I hope that by lapwing more about the OP's issues with upgrading we can avoid them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Here is some info I found on iTunes Match. Shouldn't that be the simple way to "sync" the phone?

Adding Music to iTunes Match​

You can add up to 100,000 songs to your iCloud Music Library via iTunes Match, and your music goes to iTunes Match in three ways:

• The music you purchased from the iTunes Store is automatically part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • iTunes Match scans your iTunes library to catalog the songs in it. Apple's software then adds music you have on your hard drive library that's also available on iTunes to your account. It doesn't matter where that music came from—if you bought it from Amazon, ripped it from CD, or acquired it from another source. As long as it's in your library and available in the iTunes Store, it'll be part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • Apple uploads music in your iTunes library that isn't available in the iTunes Store from your computer to your iCloud Music Library. But it only does this with files in the AAC and MP3 formats.

I have iTunes Match. As far as I understand the system, it only works between Macs.

But go ahead and try it, if you can. The reason I believe it won’t work is that iTunes Match compares Libraries which are only on Macs. And it’s handled through your iTunes Match account which again doesn’t have an iPhone equivalent.

But hey, I’ve been wrong before. Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
iTunes Match should work with iTunes.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
iTunes Match should work with iTunes.
Sure, Bob; but are you saying that it works with an iPhone? I’ve never seen any mention or way of matching the iTunes library with an iDevice.

If I’m wrong, I must be corrected for future readers of this thread.

That’s what the OP is hoping for. It works great for iTunes and its successor, Music, between Macs; but if that also applied to an iPhone, then he would be chuffed and I would have learnt something :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian, Here's an article that describes how to enable iTunes Match on iOS.

The files need to be on a desktop PC (macOS or winOS) for syncing to take place.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fascinating article, Bob and I thank you for that. The OP can read themselves, but I did notice a few steps which might alarm some people - such as the fact that any music you already have on your iPhone is wiped clean before the iTunes Match music is downloaded.

A few other tricky bits, but nevertheless, I have learnt something new. Thanks Bob.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
such as the fact that any music you already have on your iPhone is wiped clean before the iTunes Match music is downloaded.

A few other tricky bits, but nevertheless, I have learnt something new. Thanks Bob.

That could be enough for the OP to change the subject to so,ething like really p'd off and upset with Apple or worse... :(

A good thing you pointed out that fact for some readers to digest... and remember.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I had similar issues. I didn't throw my computer in the pool, but I did eventually after months and 100's of hours, give up on it entirely. Eventually, I'll wipe the drive, install Monterey and sell it, but I'd feel terribly guilty doing that. The folks here bent over backwards to help me, and Apple support was useless. I now use a 12 year old Kindle that I paid $35 for 12 years ago for email, my TV for music on YouTube, and a friend's Windoze computer for my photography. C'est la vie.

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Been awhile now, but thought I’d update a few thoughts. As mentioned, I had spent more than 40 hours with Apple Support trying to resolve this issue with iPhone, iPad and iMac not working together because of OS problems. It involved upgrading from Mojave to Catalina, going backwards and having to erase the iMac and restoring from TM backups, then doing the same to upgrading to Monterey, etc.etc. While the advisors and senior advisors were very cooperative in trying to help, no one could solve the problem. Basically, my music library was FUBAR because of supposed copyright issues, to which I say BS.

I eventually did install Monterey and was almost resigned to not having the library I built over a number of years on my iPhone or iPad. Then I tried something and Bazinga it worked. Simply turn off iCloud. This way Apple doesn’t tell me what I can listen to and what I can’t. I now can simply sync direct from the desktop to my devices. Still a couple of glitches in that a few songs on my iMac don’t sync over, but I can live with that.

Now I have another issue with Apple. I recently got a new iPad as my battery on the old one was pretty much used up. I purchased an iPad Air. Without checking, it uses another type of connection. This requires a USB-C connection. The charger and cable that came with it are USB-C to USB-C. However, I need ANOTHER cable that will allow it to connect to the USB ports on the iMac. Won’t go into all the problems that created.

I‘ve been an Apple user for almost 20 years. I have too may Apple products to change to Windows based products. That said, I’m still disappointed with Apple. It seems the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. These hardware and OS changes are intentionally designed to force the consumer to send them money, not necessarily to improve their products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.