FrontRow Sources

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls!

Bit of a newbie to OSX, switched about 6 months back and love the stability Mac gives.

Only had one real problem and thats with Frontrow.

I have a Mac Mini with an external HDD that holds my entire media collection making it available for my iMac and my Apple TV. Apple TV works perfectly however Frontrow isnt able to add the Mac Mini in the sources menu (it can only see the local drive).

I was told a way around this was to use a shortcut (Oh I'm sorry..Alias O:)) and place it into the iMacs local 'Movies' drive so Frontrow could then find it, but that kills the shortcut which can no longer see the original file.

Any help would be great!

-Dan

Reaction score
Me to..

bump this as I would be interested in this also....

Thanks O:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This will work if the alias is pointing to the right thing. The alias has to be pointing to the hard drive or folder that contains the files that you want to play. I just tried it with an external drive connected to my Time Capsule and it works if the alias is dropped into the Movies folder in your account. Here's an example ATPM 15.05 - How To: Spending Time in the Front Row. Check out the section entitled "Videos Must Be in Certain Places".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad you got that sorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.