Front Row duplicating movies

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just got a nice new shiny 20" iMac and am loving it. Just wish I had made the switch sooner. :)

Being a newb to Macs I am having a bit of a problem w/ Front Row. When I load Front Row and go to browse my movies it shows 2 copies of every movie. It also lists all my TV shows under movies as well as under the TV Shows menu. I am not sure what I did wrong.

I think that it get the info from my iTunes library but I am not sure since iTunes only shows one copy of each. Any idea how to get it to show the correct number of movies and to show my TV shows only under the TV shows menu?

Also in case this helps. Some of the files listed have the mp4 extension while others do not. Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry if this has been posted before and I missed it.

~Crimson Eva

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Do you have a copy of these movies in both your iTunes library and in your Movies folder? If so, that's why Front Row shows each one twice.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I have the movies and tv shows in the movies folder. I then told iTunes to add that folder to it's library. So would the best option be to remove the double listings? Thank you.

EDIT: Consolidated my iTunes library and deleted the files in the movie folder. Everything works now. So my new question is, is there anyway to have the files in the movie folder and show in iTunes without having duplicates show in Front Row? Basically I want to be able to open the movies folder and see my movies, open iTunes and click movies to see them, or open Front Row and see them there but not have duplicates. Same goes for music. I like to keep things organized and having my movies in movies folder and music in the music folder is the setup I am looking for. Is this possible? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I know of no way that you can store movies in both iTunes and the Movies folder without having duplicates in Front Row. Anyone else?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, I figured out how to do what I was trying to do. There is an option in iTunes that tells iTunes to copy files to the library when added. I unchecked that option so now when I tell it to look in a folder for files it adds them to the listing in iTunes but does not add it to the library folder. Now I can place media in any folder I want and it will only show one copy in Front Row and I only have one copy on my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.