From 10.4.11 to 10.5 Can It Be Done?

Reaction score
OK my question a simple one but one im asking anyway.

Is my Powermac G4 able to run leopard:

Specs:
Dual 450 Processors (again i ask does this equal 900??)
512mb ram
40gb hard drive
DVD-RW

Im currently running on 10.4.11?
Can I upgrade OS?
Other than RAM what would I need to upgrade?

Reaction score
There's a program called LeopardAssist that helps you to install Leopard on sub-867MHz G4 Macs. It sounds pretty cool, but it's probably a terrible idea!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a reason Apple set that mininum spec of an 867Mhz G4. It will be very slow on a lesser system if you can get it to work.

Reaction score
There is a reason Apple set that mininum spec of an 867Mhz G4. It will be very slow on a lesser system if you can get it to work.

Indeed. It's a shame you can't just disable the resource-heavy features and run it on an older computer. My favorite new features are the adjustable icon-spacing (why did it take them so long to implement this?) and tabbed terminal windows. Spaces is pretty cool too, but it's not something that has to require a beefy computer - the Gnome and KDE desktop environments have been doing this for years (as well as many others, I'm sure)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.