Free photo Editing software for Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I wanted to use Gimp, but I cant because of the X11. Does anyone have anything else that will be good to edit a few pictures.

I dont need anything crazy, I really just need to blur my managers face because he is not supposed to hang out with the staff, lol... anyone in the waitstaff buisness can relate I hope.

Thanks,
-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
GIMP is great. Do you need some help getting X11 installed?

Reaction score
Funny, I was just looking for something like that too, and came across Seashore:

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

I've barely played with it but it seemed to support my Wacom tablet for pressure-sensitive brushes pretty easily, so I'll be looking at it some more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Funny, I was just looking for something like that too, and came across Seashore:

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

I've barely played with it but it seemed to support my Wacom tablet for pressure-sensitive brushes pretty easily, so I'll be looking at it some more.
It's based on the GIMP code, too. But no X11!
Doesn't have all the features - yet.
But I downloaded the latest Release Candidate (compiled it as an Intel only app, instead of the Universal that it's availabe).
For my basic editing/graphic needs, it does just fine.
Myself coming from the GIMP, it took take some getting used to (it's based on the code, not a direct port of the gimp).
but it is very quick and I see lots of potential in it (I submitted a request to be added to the dev team)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you had problem installing X11, this article might help.

Reaction score
I use Seashore for it's simplicity ... I can't get my head around the other more dedicated image editing apps ....

::feels a lil' dumb::

M

MacHeadCase

And if you are looking for other functionalities that aren't included in Seashore or simply want to try another app, take a look at these:

SmallImage 2: "simple and efficient tool to batch process JPEG files, resize them, recompress them, remove embedded profiles and make them ready for the web or store them efficiently"

CocoThumbX: Mac OS X Thumbnail Creator

CocoViewX: Mac OS X Picture Viewer

ImageWell: "small, but powerful, image editing application that lets you quickly
resize, crop, watermark, edit your images and then upload them to the web, save to your computer or email them to a friend"

LiveQuartz: "powerful free image editor. It is based on layers and CoreImage filters"

Image Tricks: "free application to edit and generate images"

Xee: "lightweight, fast and convenient image viewer and browser"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
+rep to MHC for the myriad of choices!

EDIT: Gotta spread the love around, first... :p

M

MacHeadCase

icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Yeah, I agree- Get X11 installed off your installation CD and get Gimp installed. It's not exactly OS X interface compliant, but considering I use the same app on Windows, Mac and Linux for everything from screenshots to photo manipulation it doesn't do badly ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I really dont want to mess with X11 yet, considering I am not going to be doing anything crazy... I am going to give seashore a shot, and if I need something more powerfull, then I will have to go to Gimp. Thanks for the help guys.
-Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.