freaking website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
okay, so the website all went to crap

same website as before http://www.bryantplayers.com/index.php

i am basically just lost with this. so any help is appreiciated....everything is correct and the links it says it can not find are working

-chris

edit: edited link

V

vtupser

One issue you might be having in your code is that when you are "including" external files that are HTML files, leave off any tags that open and close the html, body, and head. You have opened and closed html a bunch of times so it is screwing with the browser right now. Just start typing text in your external file. Also, for your nav, is there a reason why you are putting each nav button into a separate cell? I would use a <br/> at the end of each nav button instead of separate cells (it will clean up the code some and you wont have to use the colspan attribute). But I think your main problem is opening and closing too many html, body, head tags in your code. That should clear some of it up. Fix that and then I will look at it again when I get a chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ok, heres your problem, I see your table widths are in percentages, you need to change it to an actual number in pixels, ie, the width + 5 or so pixels wider than a button or that table content.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
okay, ill be getting this all sorted out in a little while, thank you very much!

until then, i must go study for and pass a test!

and maybe cook the gf breakfast too becasue she's mad

-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
vtupser said:
One issue you might be having in your code is that when you are "including" external files that are HTML files, leave off any tags that open and close the html, body, and head. You have opened and closed html a bunch of times so it is screwing with the browser right now. Just start typing text in your external file. Also, for your nav, is there a reason why you are putting each nav button into a separate cell? I would use a <br/> at the end of each nav button instead of separate cells (it will clean up the code some and you wont have to use the colspan attribute). But I think your main problem is opening and closing too many html, body, head tags in your code. That should clear some of it up. Fix that and then I will look at it again when I get a chance.

oh...so you mean when i do my <?php require stuff that the website that i am 'linking' to i should not have any <head> or <body> <meta> etc at all?
-chris

V

vtupser

That is correct, just treat it like a regular text file, but you can still put tags in there for like tables, images, links, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, but the shifting of the page is caused by the table widths as percentages as I mentioned above.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
macman - im changing everything over to exact sizes instead of percentages in the tables...at first i thought percentages would be good, but that idea failed brutally

whenever iset up the code <?php require ("/announcements.html"); ?> (whatever was mentioned to me earlier that is similar to that code) it can not find the page...i end up having to put http : // www. bryantplayers. com / announcements . html (minus spaces) in order for the file to be found

thank you all for the great and prompt help folks!!!!

-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ill just double post this:

also now my nav bar buttons arent being found...the files are all in the correct place, i have a feeling it is the fact that it is linked through /buttons/(buttonname.jpg) that is causing the problem

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
when you do an include it's looking from server root, not web root, so you'll need to do this:

require_once('../buttons/buttonname.jpg');

instead of:

require_once('/buttons/buttonname.jpg');

and same with your first example.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
update...fixed most things and i think i am almost done with this crap!!!! (too bad the person who is suposed to be running the website doesnt do his job and i am doing it for him)

so, when deleting all the body and meta tags and what not from the pages, what do i do about the javascript stuff in the header that preloads images?

once again, thanks for the help!! beers all around!!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You should have one header file that has all that stuff (js, meta, etc) in it, and then include the appropriate "body" pages after that. If you want to control the meta tags on a per page basis, do something like this:

<?php
$page['title'] = 'This is the title of the page';
$page['meta_keywords'] = 'keywords go here';
require_once('header.inc.php');
?>
Insert body of page here.

In the header.inc.php file have this:

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="keywords" content="<?=$page['keywords']?>">
<title><?=$page['title']?></title>
javascript scripts
css includes
</head>
<body>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.