Forum won't remember my login

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you clicking on the link in the notification email?

The OP (Sawday) original issue stated in post #1 was that login information wasn't being remembered. That's what I'm testing for...and so far so good.

And are you running Firefox 67.0?

Sure am...latest & greatest version...downloaded it yesterday.:)

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
9:34am - Had to log in again.

I'm going to try every ten minutes to see what happens

9:51am - was still logged in automatically

10:05am - was still logged in automatically

10:24am - was still logged in automatically

10:43am - was still logged in automatically

11:11am- still logged in automatically

11:29am - still good

12:10pm - was logged out...and just lost a lengthy post I made in another thread.
Don't really understand why one can even post if one is not logged in.
After I wrote the post and clicked on "Post Quick Reply" I got the message "You are not logged in and my post was gone - most frustrating.

PS: Managed to hit the back button a few times and got back to my "lengthy" post that was still sitting there.
Great!!! - It's some observations in the thread "People prefer Mac over PC"

2:01pm - was logged out again.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, there was time where I was having trouble with timing out. I got in the habit of copying long posts onto the clipboard just in case the "Restore Previous" button didn't come up. Currently I use CopyClip a free clipboard manager app which is so handy, simple and convenient I would not go without it. It's saved me re writing all sorts of stuff not to mention finding that web page, password, quotation etc etc.
If you don't already have a clipboard manager I highly recommend this one.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 13.34.46.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for CopyClip. You can set the number of clipboard copies to keep and select which ones you wish to use for copying. However, the forum software should remember what you have written in a reply and restore if you get bumped off or accidentally open another tab or thread. There is a time limit on how long it will be retained. I'm not sure what the length of time for retention is.

krs

Reaction score
However, the forum software should remember what you have written in a reply and restore if you get bumped off or accidentally open another tab or thread. There is a time limit on how long it will be retained. I'm not sure what the length of time for retention is.

This forum software actually does remember what was written, in that I can click the back button and get to the webpage with my post on it that has not yet been actually posted, but most forums I go to do not.
I get some message that the page has to be regenerated as the only option and if I do that I end up with the reply window but the text is gone.
So if I expect something like that to happen, I just do a select all and copy the text before hitting "post reply"
I suppose I could use CopyClip but I already have 260 applications not counting 'Utilities' and I'm trying to cut down.

krs

Reaction score
Back to the "won't remember my log-in"

I did some more googling to see what I could find.
All the settings in Firefox that could possibly cause that problem were already set correctly - so no great revelation there.

However when I went back to Firefox>Logins and Passwords and did a search for "Mac....", I found that there were two entries for user name and password against mac-forums.com.
One was "krs" plus the password and the other had a user name of "user name" - not sure where that came from, but that entry had a date setting of one day after the "krs" entry, so I wonder if that is at least part of the problem.
I deleted that log-in and password to see if that makes any difference.
It's 11:16am now - will check back in a couple of hours

Well, it's 2:02pm now and I had to log in again - so that didn't do the trick

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dual log in information seems to be prevalent even with Safari and Chrome. I have on numerous occasions had to go into the "remembered" password info for Safari and Chrome and delete erroneous log in information. As I've stated before, I do not know how Firefox stores that info but suspect that it could likewise be a problem.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In my case there is only one entry for Mac-Forums in passwords. It's set to auto fill and user name and password there are correct. All very strange.

krs

Reaction score
As I said, taking the duplicate out made no difference - so I would think that was not the issue.

@Sawday - to check if our problems are exactly the same....
For me:
1. The auto login to this forum works every time if I do it using the bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
2. If I log in from the link in the notification email, the auto login to this forum works for a certain period of time (around an hour) after I logged in manually, then at some point after that it does not. It does not matter which thread the notification email references.
3. None of the other forums I visit has that problem with Firefox
4. Other browsers, Safari, Brave, Chrome work fine
5. Problem started with (I think) the last version of Firefox, maybe the second to last - I use mostly Firefox as the browser and have not had this problem previously with this forum or any other (that I remember)

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As I said, taking the duplicate out made no difference - so I would think that was not the issue.

@Sawday - to check if our problems are exactly the same....
For me:
1. The auto login to this forum works every time if I do it using the bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
2. If I log in from the link in the notification email, the auto login to this forum works for a certain period of time (around an hour) after I logged in manually, then at some point after that it does not. It does not matter which thread the notification email references.
3. None of the other forums I visit has that problem with Firefox
4. Other browsers, Safari, Brave, Chrome work fine
5. Problem started with (I think) the last version of Firefox, maybe the second to last - I use mostly Firefox as the browser and have not had this problem previously with this forum or any other (that I remember)

RESOLVED!!

krs - You have cracked it. Thank you for raising the bookmark issue - even though that worked for you! I was using the bookmark bar entry. I looked the properties for this and it appeared fine. I deleted the bookmark and entered the URL for the site manually, clicking 'Remember'. Exited and re-entered - it had saved my login. Saved it on the bookmark bar. This now works fine. Ditto the other site that had the same issue. Interestingly (I know, I lead a sad life!) no other bookmark is exhibiting any issue. So it looks like a Firefox issue introduced on the version before last.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So removing all instances and passwords re to the two websites and entering them again manually fixed the problem? Just trying to get the solution clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

krs

Reaction score
So removing all instances and passwords re to the two websites and entering them again manually fixed the problem? Just trying to get the solution clear.

The way Sawday described it, the problem was logging in via the mac-forums bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
And deleting that bookmark and re-entering it manually solved the problem.

I never had a problem logging in that way - I only have the problem trying to log in via the link that mac-forums sends me in a notification email.
But once I log in that way manually by entering my user name and password, the log in then works automatically for any notification email I get after that, or even old ones, but only for a limited time like an hour or two - then the auto-login no longer works and I have to this manually again.

This whole problem started one or two Firefox updates ago - what I find really odd is that this problem for me only happens on this forum.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
krs, I take it the "Remember Me" box under your login box is ticked?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, changed default browsers, Firefox is now my default. I have clicked on email links to this thread in both Mail and Airmail (my default email client). In both instances I have been automatically logged in to Mac Forums and brought straight to this thread. I understand it's unhelpful for others to say, "well it's working for me" but I'm trying to work out what difference there is between your situation and mine. I will leave Firefox my default for the rest of the day and see if it stops logging me in automatically. Either way I'll get back to you.
Cheers, Rod.

krs

Reaction score
krs, I take it the "Remember Me" box under your login box is ticked?

Yes, it certainly is.
I check it every time I log in manually...it's not even really manually because as soon as I click on the "User Name"button, my user name shows up and all I have to do is select it - same with the password (as a row of dots)
So I don't actually have to type in anything.

krs

Reaction score
So I tried something else, in part prompted by what Sawday posted.

I went into Firefox "Logins and Passwords" and deleted the entry of user name and password for mac-forums
Then shut down Firefox.
Restarted Firefox and this time really manually, as in typed every letter, logged back in.
So lets see if that makes a difference - probably won't find out until the morning - it;s midnight here.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I tried something else, in part prompted by what Sawday posted.

I went into Firefox "Logins and Passwords" and deleted the entry of user name and password for mac-forums
Then shut down Firefox.
Restarted Firefox and this time really manually, as in typed every letter, logged back in.
So lets see if that makes a difference - probably won't find out until the morning - it;s midnight here.

And I take it you had removed it from Bookmarks too?

krs

Reaction score
And I take it you had removed it from Bookmarks too?

No, not from bookmarks.

But the auto ogin didn't work just now, so also removing the bookmark would be next.
Although I don't see why this would have any effect. Logging in via the bookmark has always worked for me, it's just logging in via the notification email link doesn't work after some time.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly I don’t see why it would work either but maybe when you click on an email link it opens an outdated bookmark. Really it’s just a case of trying every possibility.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, I have just turned on my MBP, gone to your post email notification, clicked on the link and Firefox has opened with me still logged in so so much for that. I'll leave as my default till tomorrow and try again but it looks like the issue is still unique to you. I had previously deleted my passwords and bookmarks for this site so all the same there.
Cheers till tomorrow,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.