Formatting new Hard Drive

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I hate to admit it but my primary backups for my MBP are on a Seagate 1Tb ext HD. Not my only backups but convenient to carry. Working on the assumption that it is unlikely my backups would die at the same time as my Mac HD or vice versa. So what is the best brand for daily and long term backups? Or is there more safety in multiple backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Definitely more safety in multiple backups. Just using mathematical odds.

OP
W
Reaction score
Can you make Time Machine back up to more than one drive at the same time automatically? Or do you have to point it to the different drive every once in a while?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The short answer to that is no. As an application housed in your Mac HD it only has one set of preferences. On the other hand it is possible to use cloning software to clone the TM backup as well as the Mac HD as a separate scheduled task. That however would require two ext HD's plugged in at the same time and is overkill in my mind.
I clone my HD once a week and allow TM to run whenever the laptop is home and plugged in to AC power. The worst that could happen is I might lose a few days of data.

C

chas_m

You guys might be interested in this story, featured extensive consumer HD testing by Backblaze. Particularly the results regarding Seagate.

Backblaze releases reliability data for over 41,000 hard drives | MacNN

And here's the relevant chart for you (aren't I nice?):

1423052357-md-126831_md_blog_drive_failure_by_manufacturer1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can you make Time Machine back up to more than one drive at the same time automatically? Or do you have to point it to the different drive every once in a while?

Just using the question with a google search shows it's been possible to do that for several years now:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tjHyVYqPEYzLmALAtZ7wBQ

And for just some hits, see:
How to create redundant Time Machine backups | Macworld
How to Backup Time Machine to Multiple Locations | Mac|Life

Personally, I don't use or rely on TM and prefer to use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) which allows one to do so and more, and end up with a bootable backup clone or clones. ;)

C

chas_m

Incidentally, there is no such thing as a Steve Jobs autobiography. You're possibly referring to the authorized biography by Walter Isaacson ("autobiography" means "self-written biography"), and it's not bad, but a better book on Jobs IMHO is "Becoming Steve Jobs." Reading both is recommended.

OP
W
Reaction score
You guys might be interested in this story, featured extensive consumer HD testing by Backblaze. Particularly the results regarding Seagate.

Backblaze releases reliability data for over 41,000 hard drives | MacNN

And here's the relevant chart for you (aren't I nice?):

1423052357-md-126831_md_blog_drive_failure_by_manufacturer1.jpg

I replaced my WD HD, that's still hooked up to my iMac with at Seagate external HD that took over primary back up duties earlier this year. Guess I need to switch time machine between the two on occasion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.