Formatting iPod from Windows to Mac

I

iDVFH.

My iPod is formatted for Windows and it in dire need of an update (still in v. 2.1) but in order to update it says it has to be formatted for Mac. Anyway of keeping the music on the iPod and re-formatting..or do I have to do a restore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You can download the iPod update software for Windows, and do the update on a Windows PC...you won't need re-formatting.

OP
I

iDVFH.

That's the problem..my Windows PC is a vegetable..is there a program to get the music off the iPod so that I can do a restore? I have seen programs like that but all of the ones I seen were for Windows.

OP
J

Jefe3223

a program to get music off of your ipod on a mac?
I use iPodRip. It's not a bad program. Shareware, and I only used it a couple times, but I'd recomend it.
http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip
I haven't looked for any of those programs on windows though.

The downside to using both macs AND windows is that the ipod wants to reformat itself whenever it is ont he computer opposite to what it's formatted to. Crazy world. ha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Jefe3223 said:
The downside to using both macs AND windows is that the ipod wants to reformat itself whenever it is ont he computer opposite to what it's formatted to. Crazy world. ha.

My iPod is Windows-formatted but the iTunes I sync to is on my Mac, and it never complains when I connect it.

When it was Mac-formatted (for about a week :) the Windows machine kept wanting to reformat it to Windows, but I never saw the opposite behavior on the other side.

OP
J

Jefe3223

When it was Mac-formatted (for about a week :) the Windows machine kept wanting to reformat it to Windows, but I never saw the opposite behavior on the other side.

well i'll be danged. Eh, I never trust those windows things. hahaha, jk. That's good. I've only tried it once, and my friend (whose ipod it was at the time and had it formated for windows) freaked out when my itunes wanted to reformat it...but that was awhile ago. I've never tried it with my ipod, but I have no reason to go back and forth.

OP
Z

zero1207

i'm not sure if the program will work for mac, but i use sharepod to put the songs from my ipod onto my computer. the program actually downloads to your ipod so you don't have to have a program on every computer you want to use it with. you might check it out here http://www25.brinkster.com/carmagt/SharePod/ hopefully that might help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.