Foreign Mac

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2010 MacBook Air and when I went to reformat the drive and reload the operating system, everything in Disk Utility was in Japanese. Is there anything that can be done to change it to english.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you reinstall the operating system it should ask you for language and locale. Did you miss that?

OP
R
Reaction score
It did not ask me to select a language. I am not sure why. I have done this many many times before(at least a couple hundred). sometimes it will ask for a language, sometimes not, but it has never given me anything other than english.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It did not ask me to select a language. I am not sure why. I have done this many many times before(at least a couple hundred). sometimes it will ask for a language, sometimes not, but it has never given me anything other than english.

Just a thought. Maybe the OS installer defaults to the last language that was installed. So if the Japanese language was last installed language...maybe that's what it chooses the next time. There may even be an "options" choice somewhere to change things before the installer starts.

If the computer is still in Japanese...you can go to:

- "System Preferences"
- Then choose "Language & Text" (it will have an icon that looks like the United Nations Flag)
- Language tab (first tab on the left).
- Then choose English.

I understand that much of this may be in Japanese...that's why I added the extra "visual" info to help find things.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe this was Snow Leopard on a DVD. Did Snow Leopard installs offer this language choice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Choice of language is offered on all Apple devices when you first turn them on and when doing a clean install. After installing iOS 8 on my iPhone, the first time it booted I was offered a choice of language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There you go Charlie.

Seems ever so long since I used an install DVD!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.