Since I upgraded to Mojave 10.14.2 with Safari 12.0.2 I cannot get the
"Mail this web page" or "Share" icons in my Safari toolbar to use Gmail
as my (desired) email Client.

The old working mailto.safariextz extension is now ignored by Safari 12.0.2

I've tried one solution that recommended using the Developer "Extension
builder" option and going through some hoops to get the mailto.safariextz
extension into a format that can be installed (mailto.zip and mailto.xar), but
even with multiple tries and following instructions "to the letter" either I'm
not versed enough, or, Safari simply will not allow one to bypass its directives.

Anyone have a solution?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Use a different browser.

OP
J
Reaction score
Use a different browser.

Wow . . . I am humbled by such a brilliant solution . . . and coming from a "Senior Member" no less . . .
Truly genius . . . Thanks! . . . I wish I had thought of that! . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nice snark, but the bottom line is, that's the answer. Safari ignore the extension, so if you want to change behavior, you have to change browsers. Or you can continue to be sarcastic and get banned by a Mod. Your call.

OP
J
Reaction score
Nice snark, but the bottom line is, that's the answer. Safari ignore the extension, so if you want to change behavior, you have to change browsers. Or you can continue to be sarcastic and get banned by a Mod. Your call.

I posted an intelligent, well thought-out, question after having spent a considerable amount
of time trying to solve the problem on my own.

I sought this forum, and others, to get solutions not "snark" replies.

Your response was not a solution to the problem.

"Use a different browser" does not solve the problem with Safari.

Perhaps I should report you to a Mod for posting a trolling -antagonistic- reply?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You are missing the point. Apple, with macOS Mojave, severely limits Safari, to make it secure. Only approved extensions will work, so your choices are; to wait for the developer to fix the issue, or to use another browser.

Sorry, but I did not think you were going to be offended by my answer. It's easy enough to do. And it will do what you want it to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
You are missing the point. Apple, with macOS Mojave, severely limits Safari, to make it secure. Only approved extensions will work, so your choices are; to wait for the developer to fix the issue, or to use another browser.

Sorry, but I did not think you were going to be offended by my answer. It's easy enough to do. And it will do what you want it to do.

Here's my "point": stop replying to my posts.

Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here's my "point": stop replying to my posts.

Thank you.

He has a right to reply to your posts and his reply is Spot on. Talk to the Developer of the extension. It's in their ballpark.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The original question asked in post #1 was..."Anyone have a solution?"...and a solution was offered "Use a different browser" (which could very well be a solution).:)

I think the where things went off-topic was...this solution was not considered an acceptable solution. Not really very friendly to give a fellow member a hard time about a solution they suggested (they made an effort...and that effort should be valued). A solution was asked for...and a solution was suggested.:)

If that's not an acceptable solution...that's ok...keep waiting for a 2nd or 3rd suggestion (if there are other solutions). Or thank the member for the suggestion...and mention that you would prefer a solution that doesn't require using a different browser.:)

Bottom line is...let's please keep things friendly & civil. That's the way we roll at Mac-Forums.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
He has a right to reply to your posts and his reply is Spot on. Talk to the Developer of the extension. It's in their ballpark.

"right" ?

He has the right to troll my intelligent post with nonsense?

That he eventually replied with real information is not the point.

We all have the right to communicate, or not, with another and
I choose not to communicate with trolls on this forum.

Do you propose to take away that right?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@JonDoh

Please, please try not to be offended. We are a "family" forum with contributors from around the world who give up their free time to assist.

We do get occasional trolls and they get banned. Neither you nor any of those responding fall into this category.

The answer is to delete the mailto.safariextz extension if that is possible - then try Safari again or, more likely use a different Browser.

Although we are an Apple Forum, we all recognise that there are good working alternatives to some native Apple apps.

Browsers such as: Chrome; Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, Brave, Epic, and so on; are regularly suggested because each has its strengths and weaknesses. Give one a try. It is the solution you asked for.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
The original question asked in post #1 was..."Anyone have a solution?"...and a solution was offered "Use a different browser" (which could very well be a solution).:)

I think the where things went off-topic was...this solution was not considered an acceptable solution. Not really very friendly to give a fellow member a hard time about a solution they suggested (they made an effort...and that effort should be valued). A solution was asked for...and a solution was suggested.:)

If that's not an acceptable solution...that's ok...keep waiting for a 2nd or 3rd suggestion (if there are other solutions). Or thank the member for the suggestion...and mention that you would prefer a solution that doesn't require using a different browser.:)

Bottom line is...let's please keep things friendly & civil. That's the way we roll at Mac-Forums.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Thank you.

I have no issue with "friendly & civil" responses to intelligently presented issues.

I have many issues with wise-cracked, smart-alec, responses that neither address --directly nor indirectly--
the problem clearly elucidated i.e., that I seek a SOLUTION to the problem I'm having with Safari.

"Use another browser" without any further explanation, why, or wherefore can only be taken as a wise-acre
response. It offers nothing else and in light of my extremely well-thought-out, versed and phrased post
(after having spent several hours trying various suggestions as I am NOT the only one with this issue)
there is only one way to take this kind of response: as an insult to my intelligence, injurious to my quest
and now, a waste of everyone's time who has now gotten involved. Certainly I may have granted
the benefit of the doubt, but I have come to learn via postings on many similar support sites that those who
truly want to share their help and/or expertise write more than 3 words.

If that is not how a troll operates, please enlighten me.

troll (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll):
"One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board
with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

I suggest all trolls be banned from your site.

A trolls intention is marked by their effect: to ball-up and engage as many others in their
nonsense for the sake of their sick sense of . . . ?

That said, I sincerely appreciate your explanation.

But I take issue with your defense of the troll, "ferrarr".

Thank you again.

OP
J
Reaction score
@JonDoh

Please, please try not to be offended. We are a "family" forum with contributors from around the world who give up their free time to assist.

We do get occasional trolls and they get banned. Neither you nor any of those responding fall into this category.

The answer is to delete the mailto.safariextz extension if that is possible - then try Safari again or, more likely use a different Browser.

Although we are an Apple Forum, we all recognise that there are good working alternatives to some native Apple apps.

Browsers such as: Chrome; Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, Brave, Epic, and so on; are regularly suggested because each has its strengths and weaknesses. Give one a try. It is the solution you asked for.

Ian

I sincerely appreciate the efforts made by those who truly make the effort to give valuable advice.

I invite you to read my other responses especially that to pigoo3 just now and the qualities of a troll
especially that they are recognized not only by their effect but by the the mysterious and provocative
nature of their remarks. They speak little but what they do say is either off-topic, off-handed or just
plain "off" in some way that is designed to invoke the kind of response I gave and that has now
engaged a total of 6 other individuals in addition to the troll "ferrarr". True earmarks of a troll.

Thank you for your advice on browsers. Unfortunately, with the learning curve involved in discovering
what each may, or may not, do I am hesitant but I will try a few.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.