Font Problem After Installing 10.4.9 Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 20", MacBook Pro
Hello,

I've just installed 10.4.9 on my PowerPC G5 20" Imac and since the reboot certain fonts are scrambled. E.g. when I go to google, the news is unreadable. I've downloaded Font Finagler and that hasn't solved the problem. I also can't seem to find any font conflicts. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone have sugegstions as to how I might fix this? It's really annoying!

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Dunno. I update to 10.4.9 today and just checked Google news and no problems.

Maybe run OnyX and see if cleaning stuff up helps.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 20", MacBook Pro
Dunno. I update to 10.4.9 today and just checked Google news and no problems.

Maybe run OnyX and see if cleaning stuff up helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tired running every option on OnyX and then rebooting. Unfortunately the problem is persisting.

Here is an example of what i'm taking about (as you can see, it only seems to be effecting the smaller fonts:

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Something similar happened to me when i updated to 10.4.8, I ended up reinstalling the os from the dvd and then doing the update again, which worked the next time, but what a pain...

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 20", MacBook Pro
Something similar happened to me when i updated to 10.4.8, I ended up reinstalling the os from the dvd and then doing the update again, which worked the next time, but what a pain...

Really? Did the text look the same? I'm wondering whether just one font has been corrupted. Anymore ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Download Linotype Font Explorer and deactivate Helvetica. If you have a couple of versions floating about, they can clash.

M

MacHeadCase

Good idea, Alexis. FontExplorer X can also check for corrupted fonts and conflicts.
icon14.gif

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 20", MacBook Pro
Thank you all. FontExplorer did the trick. That just saved me a whole lot of grief!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.