Flight Simulator

Reaction score
Have used Microsoft Flight Simulator and would like to know software best for a desktop Mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no way we can answer that question. We will need to know what Mac you have and which version of OS X it's running. If you're asking us which Mac to buy in order to run MS Flight Simulator, that's different. So which is it?

And by the way, MS Flight Simulator (latest version) will only run using Boot Camp which means dual booting a Mac between OS X and Windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good one Nick. I forgot all about X-Plane. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good one Nick. I forgot all about X-Plane. Thanks.

I've actually purchased a couple of the older versions over the years. DEFINITELY a STEEP learning curve...which sort of forced me to not stick with it. I think that a BIG part of the learning curve is trying to control everything with a mouse & keyboard.

Probably would be a lot more managable with a set of foot pedals, a flight control yoke, and some sort of keyboard overlay for the flight/dash/instrument fuctions.

- Nick

Reaction score
Try a heli with just keyboard and mouse :) Crash and burn.
You need at least a joystick, preferably rudder pedals too. Or, if you're into smaller planes, a yoke and rudder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
Current System: iMac (27-inch, late 2013), 3.2GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Would like to run XPlane 11. Retired AF pilot and use to use Microsoft's Flight Sim. Not looking do anything fancy, just fly a C-172 or other single engine piston around country side, shoot some approaches, etc. No fighter dog fights or fancy airline stuff. Basic stick and rudder stuff.
All of that said:
- Will my current system support XPlane 11 with good resolution on aircraft, cockpit, and outside views?
- Cannot seem to find a good MAC compatible flight sim stick or hands on stick and throttle set up. Is there one out there? Thunderforce?? seems to have good one, but PC only.
Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already answered you in your other post. Please do not double post. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.