Flash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

I keep on getting these rectangular Flash widgets on my screen saying Flash is out of date. Sometimes, I get 2 or 3 on one screen; it doesn't look right to me. Is this some sort of virus/malware/spam/problem? I updated my Flash player about 6 week/2 months ago. It's a horrible way for a company to try and get one's attention; it's doesn't look like real programming but instead some sort of scam from some 3rd world place. if it is real, I guess they missed the day they taught elegant in programer's school.

Thanks,

Bob M.
OS X 10.7.5
Safari 6.1.6

Reaction score
There should be a Flash panel in System Preferences. Check there for updates.
Either way, ONLY get Flash from the Adobe site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Flash Player Updates seem to come out every fortnight or so. Do as suggested from System Preferences.

M

MacInWin

Concur. NEVER update from a pop up window, go to the site yourself through the SysPrefs route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the current version is 16.0.0.235.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And the current version is 16.0.0.235.

For most users - and unless one is a masochist and enjoys the pain of being a beta tester. ;)

But the 15.x Flash version was even recently showing as the latest for some and just recently I had to update Flash on several Macs, from SL 10.6.8 to Mav. 10.9.x as the "auto update" was not happening as was shown in the Flash Player pref pane for some reason, and I don't know why not.

But Adobe finally seem to have gone mainly with the 16.x version yet the 15.x version was also released 09 Dec 2014. All too confusing… :D

Flash Player Help | Release Notes

C

chas_m

It's not confusing at all.

Flash v16.x is for more recent computers.

Flash 15.x is the last supported version for older computers.

Also see: every other piece of commercial software. Support for older computers ends at some point, and usually the company will keep the last older-compatible version around for a while.

Example: Apple issues Safari 8.0.2, 7.1.2, and 6.2.2 | MacNN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's not confusing at all.

Flash v16.x is for more recent computers.

Flash 15.x is the last supported version for older computers.
… …. ….

That sure wasn't my recent experience for the last week or so and none of them except one were considered "older Macs" and yet the Flash Player install onto the oldest Mac, a late 2007 MBPro got the latest 16.x version and a later 2011 iMac got the 15.x version. Go figure.

Certainly all qualified according to Adobe:
Adobe Flash Player | Tech specs

But maybe not all their servers had been updated at that time, who knows — or really cares.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.